Chapter 6: Peter's Journal

Upon opening Peter's knapsack Susan first found the rotten remains of what probably would have been Peter and Edmund's lunch. This turned Susan's stomach and she quickly discarded the sandwiches and apples realizing that they had obviously died before they had been able to eat their lunch. The next thing that Susan found in the bag were two pare of workman's clothes. "Strange", thought Susan, "why would her brothers have been wearing these?"

The next thing that she found was an old red antique leather marble bag with a great lion etched in gold on it.

Susan remembered this old bag from Professor Kirkes study back when the four had first explained their adventures in Narnia to him, after they had got back out of the Wardrobe. Susan was surprised that she remembered but it had been sitting on his desk in his study at the time. Lucy had always loved that bag, and it had always sat there in the same place beside the large open Bible, as if it was almost never moved. Unlike before however the bag was now full of several round things and was securely bound shut. Susan would have opened the bag but instead her eye caught something else in the knapsack and she set it aside. Now partly hidden under a pair of workman's gloves, at the bottom of the knapsack, was Peter's old Journal.

Susan grabbed it the moment she saw it and began flipping through it.

The story had begun when their father had been drafted, and their was a note on the front page which read,

To my son Peter Pevensie, Dear son,

It is with sorrow that I go away but I go also in joy

that I may defend my family and my country.

You are a man Peter though you are only thirteen.

Be a help to your mother and look after your brother and your sisters for me.

Pray for me each night as I will also for you.

I trust to return, and when I do, I'd like to read of your adventures while I am away.

Love your father and fellow soldier, John Pevensie

Susan already knew that the journal contained her brothers account of both of his adventures in Narnia, but flipping to the end she found a final entry which must have been written later.

At times my heart is sad to think that I shall not go to Narnia again, but I rest in the knowledge that it is what Aslan sees as best. I remember the promise which was made when I was crowned High King under Aslan.

"Once a king or queen in Narnia, always a king or queen. Bear it well, Sons of Adam! Bear it well, Daughters of Eve!" said Aslan.

And he did not say "always a king in Narnia", but "always a king", which means I am still a king, and I must bear it well in this world also, and perhaps, when I am old I shall see Aslan once again.

Susan noticed that the light was fading now. She quickly placed Peter's journal and the marble bag into her bag and went to look out the kitchen window. Most of the day had passed away while she had been looking through her families' things. Susan stepped outside and looked at the radiant sunset. The scene before her would have totally captivated her mind with wonder at an earlier time but now her thoughts were on something else.

"Aslan", she whispered, "Are you here in our world? Are you real?"

Just then a breeze blew Susans hair and a thought came to her mind, as if in response to her question, "Is the wind itself real?".