Chapter One : Carver

Okay, so I changed my mind
I think I wanna be your friend

✄┈┈┈┈┈

If Craig happened to be a better person, he'd be relieved his friend didn't die on that tree. However, he's not, and now he's stuck here, in front of a coffee shop, with every teenager in South Park. Kenny vanished into the mob while Craig stands outside, mulling over what led him to this point--to be making bets he couldn't guarantee he'd win. 

"Ack! Craig!" 

Tweek Tweak. He could recognize that cracked voice anywhere. It's different now. His voice used to be high, fragile, and weak. Now, it's as loud and obnoxious as ever. More than that, it's filled with life. He would never shame a man for something he couldn't control, but Tweek could regulate his volume. "I didn't think you'd come, dude! I haven't seen you since Theater." 

Craig refuses to dwell on the history that was and is sixth-grade theater. The thick aroma of sweat, wood shavings, and wall paint still haunts him. He would never forget the time Cartman dropped a piano on Kenny's head or the time Clyde spilled a can of paint over Theresa's brand-new overalls. 

"I lost a bet," Craig states in a mumble. "I'm missing the finale of Red Racer for this." Something is painful about cranking your neck a bit to look at someone, but Craig won't let it bruise his pride. Tweek's crooked smile as he speaks rapidly won't get under his skin. 

"The Fifth and Final. I keep getting ads for it," Tweek threads his fingers through his hair. It's lost its volume since they last saw each other. It lays in fluffed-up waves instead of blonde spikes. It's hardly the platinum, almost white, it used to be. It's honey-colored, reflecting the same flakes of gold in Craig's eyes.

"I can, ack, put it on down in the basement. There's nobody there right now, argh," Tweek clears his throat, "Sorry, there's so much going on right now! I'm all over the place" He stuffs a fist into his front pocket, navigating through the crowd of coffee cups and laughter. "Are you coming or not?" 

Craig, stubbornly, stalks towards the shop's entrance, pulling down the strings on his chullo as if it would disguise him, "Yeah, um, yeah. Coming." Craig stares at his sneakers as he trudges through the sea of students. He expects the basement to be the same dingy old box it was when they were kids, but Tweek managed to make it his own. 

He replaced the cracked wood with sunset-orange paint, covering the walls with different forms of art; Kenny's photography, wall sheets, hanging plants, pride flags, and half-completed art projects. It was a mess but cozy. The color scheme followed a strict code of brown, yellow, blue, and green, except for the bisexual and demisexual flags. The mattress is hidden by blankets, pillows, a keyboard, and loose sketch paper. 

"Don't touch the little kiln. It's super fucking hot" Tweek warns, clearing away the paint brushes and clay. "I've been making custom mugs for the shop, and it's been like a dream job," 

Craig's not paying much attention. He's too caught up in admiring the Saturn-themed cup. The rings of Saturn make up the handle, and the rest of the cup has scientifically accurate planets. 

"Did you make that?" He asks, gesturing inelegantly towards the clay piece sitting atop the kiln. 

"What? That? Yeah, I finished it a while ago. The handle is hard to hold though, so I can't use it upstairs," Tweek shrugs, adjusting the batteries in the remote. 

"Can I have it?" Craig drops down on the mattress, smoothing his thumb over the comforter. 

"Yeah, I guess so." Tweek smiles awkwardly, sucking his lips in. 

"Well, anyway, ack, dude. I got the TV to work." He stands, dusting off his sweater, "I'm gonna make sure Kenny isn't breaking shit. Give me a shout if you need anything!" Tweek waves, then disappear as he marches up the stairs. 

"Yeah. See you later," Craig collapses on the sheets, crossing his arms over his chest, losing his mind to the sound of race cars and engines. 

✄┈┈┈┈┈

Woooo, updated the chapter <3