Chapter 5

It was 7pm the next evening. Mrs Smith had help me with the discharge papers earlier that afternoon and the look of sorrow that filled her eyes when I told her of how I grew up never left her face even till now as I hung out at her bakery waiting for dinner.

She insisted that she will not hear about me being a stranger in this town anymore and practically took me home straight from the hospital. I managed to convince her to let me go back to my apartment to shower and get a fresh change of clothes but that was after repeatedly promising to come back to her bakery to have dinner with her family.

I had stopped by Mrs Peterson's unit to let her know I was alright. She was worried beside herself and gave me such a big hug when I came by to see her it felt like she was going to fall apart had it not been for Mr Grehan reassuring her that I was a big girl and could take care of myself.

I don't know if this is what was written for me but having these handful of people being worried for me is really surreal and yet heart-warming. Are people really this caring and genuine outside of where I grew up or is it just how Chambervile's residents are?

As uncertain and cautious I was, I could not help feel blessed to have met these kind people and have their concern and care for me being so openly shown and in such a short amount of time. I know Mrs Jenkins always told me that not everyone is bad and that there is kindness in this world but how can there possibly be so much of it here in this town?

After dinner, I helped Mrs Smith and her daughters clear the table and wash the dishes. It was the least I could do for their hospitality and kindness. Mary-Ann, Mrs Smith's eldest daughter was an amazing cook. Her beef stew warmed me up nicely and couple that with the bread that Sue-Ann, Mrs Smith's youngest daughter, had baked was really heavenly. Dorothy and Cecily, the second and third daughters, respectively, are gifted in the art of desserts as I recall the taste of the blueberry pie and their home-made vanilla ice cream. I had never eaten such delicious food before and doubt I'll be able to find anything that matches any of it anywhere else.

As I walked down the steps to head home to my apartment, I saw that the bookstore next door had a light turned on. Recalling what Mrs Smith had said, Bentley should not be out of the hospital just yet. I wonder if it's Mr Alcott. As frightened of vampires as I was, I still felt the need to thank him for what he has done for me and to apologize for how I behaved the last time I'd seen him. Mr Grehan himself had shared good stories of vampires who are indeed nice people and Mrs Peterson herself speaks well of her nightly tenants. So, I should give Mr Alcott the benefit of the doubt that he is a good vampire and not out to suck my blood. Never judge a book by its cover Mrs Jenkins would say.

Those words rang in my ears as I made my way up the steps to the bookstore and peeked in through the glass door. The rest of the place was in darkness save for the light at the back of the room near the stairs. There isn't any movement or sound so far. Maybe he forgot to turn off the light when he left. I'll come by again another time and thank him.

As I turned away from the door, I saw a shadow passed by the light. Oh! He's inside! My heart suddenly felt excited and I was knocking the door even before I realized what I was doing. The shadow froze at the sound of my knocking but it did not move. Suddenly, it slammed hard against the door and crashed through it pinning me underneath it.

Straddling me was a pale contorted creature that looked neither like a man nor a beast. it was painfully thin with large bulging red eyes, elongated fingers and black fangs that were snapping at my face as it grunted and struggled. Without realizing it, I was holding it back with my left forearm pushing hard against its chest. The creature was strong and kept coming at me and trying to bite off my face. Its eyes glowing at me, I kept my focus on pushing it back and not getting bitten by it. I don't want to risk turning into it in the next full moon or something.

It was still coming at me as I kept on pushing it back with my left hand. I need a weapon to fight it off! Trying to find something to use, I saw that the fake statue had fallen and broken in two. With my right hand, I tried to reach the top part of the statue that was closest to me. It's just out of reach from my fingertips! Damn it! Is this it? Is this how I was going to die? But I haven't lived enough! I'm only 18! I need to live and build the future I've been dreaming of! I cannot die here!

As I was feeling my arm weakening, a thought rushed through me and I realized that I had not screamed or called for help. Mrs Smith's bakery is nearby and she could hear me if I make enough noise! Taking a deep breath, I was about to shout for help when the creature was suddenly ripped off of me and flung back into a large tree that was beside the bookstore. It agilely landed on a branch and hissed at the figure that had appeared and stood between us. The creature launched itself towards the figure who met it half way and slammed it into the tree. The creature shrieked and bit into the figure's hand, tearing out skin and flesh as blood gushed out.

I suddenly remembered to scream and did not stop until I heard Mrs Smith and her daughters rushing from behind me. Arms grabbed me and dragged me up as we ran away from the fight. I turned in time to see Mrs Smith and Mary-Ann running towards the fight and firing their shotguns at the creature. The figure that had slammed it to the tree still held it firmly there as the bullets found its target and the creature's head exploded into a million bloodied pieces.