ii. tis the damn season

CHAPTER TWO·

CHAPTER TWO
·.¸¸.·♪♫ come in with the rain ♫♪·.¸¸.·

WHEN REECE WAS A LITTLE GIRL she'd count down the days to Christmas from the second the year started. It was her favourite holiday, and over the course of her life it had never changed.

Reece has been looking forward to Christmas all year long but by the time it came around she'd wished it hadn't. The Hastings girl had many traditions during the Christmas holiday, all of which she was unable to do.

Firstly, throughout the week leading into Christmas, she, Josie, Anne and their mothers would have a movie marathon, watching all the classics, like Elf or The Santa Clause. They'd drink hot coco and stay up late eating all kinds of different foods. It was a tradition Scarlett and Regina had started in collage, and later passed down to their daughters.

Secondly, on Christmas Eve, the three young girls would go outside and play outside in the snow. They'd build snowmen, have snowball fights, make snow angels, and catch snowflakes on their tongues. The girls would stay out so long they'd grow numb to the cold and the adults had to drag them inside or else they'd never go back.

Thirdly, when the Sinclair's left, Anne would sneak into Reece's room to sleep. Though as they grew older, there was a lot less sleeping and a lot more giggling. But they'd fall asleep eventually, only to continue their nonsensical chatter in the morning. It was a simple tradition Reece looked forward to.

Lastly, on Christmas Day, the Hastings and Sinclair family would go over to each other's houses to open gifts. Though, that wasn't the important part of the morning, because when everyone left to do their own thing Reece and Josie would give each other their gifts. They weren't sure why they never opened them with the others, but they liked having it be their own little thing.

But, none of that could be down this year, at least not to the fullest. Josie and her father moved to Calgary, while Regina stayed in Salt Lake, Scarlett was in the hospital, Victor was hardly home trying to earn more pay to help his family, and Anne was usually with Ashlyn and Gina trying to forget about all the pain in her life. Which left Reece alone, in the cold empty house.

She had no one to have a movie marathon with, or to decorate the tree. The only tradition that would stay the same was Anne sleeping in Reece's room, but it wouldn't be the same.

It was a week before Christmas and the Hastings home wasn't filled with its usual holiday spirit. There were no snowmen on the snow covered lawn, or candy cane lights stuck to the side of the house. The colourful Christmas lights were still tangled up in their box in the attic, along with the beaten up Christmas tree and it's beautiful ornaments. All the Christmas decorations were no where to be seen.