v. exhale

CHAPTER FIVE·

CHAPTER FIVE
·.¸¸.· come in with the rain ·.¸¸.·

𝗩𝗔𝗟𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗜𝗡𝗘'𝗦 𝗗𝗔𝗬 𝗦𝗨𝗖𝗞𝗘𝗗, well at least on Reece's opinion. Even when she wasn't single, she didn't understand the hype of having a single day to praise your significant other and shower them with gifts. But, to each their own.

This Valentine in particular, however, hit the hardest. She usually spent the day watching Valentine's Day with her mom and sister as they shoved as much candy and chocolate in their mouths until dinner, and despite being able to do all that, they were stuck in a crummy hospital room filled with beeping machines and staff coming in and out every two minutes.

"Not the cheerleader, I'm on the dance team." Taylor Swift's character spoke on the tiny television in the room's corner. The woman laughed as the girl on the screen showed her dance moves. The Hastings sisters had taken a day off of school to spend time with their mom, and Victor was meant to arrive after work for a surprise.

Reece reached over to her sister, who sat on the chair closest to their mom and grabbed some popcorn to put on her plate. However, she didn't miss the slight fluttering of her mom's eyes, doing her best to stay awake for her daughters.

Ultimately, Scarlet's plan failed. Within a few more minutes of the movie, the woman was fast asleep. Reece sighed, motioning to Anne, whose focus was still on the movie, towards her mom. "We'll come back later tonight, okay?"

Anne smiled sadly, "Yeah, I guess. It just sucks she's so tired all the time." Reece took her sister's hand and gave her a reassuring smile. "We should probably get to rehearsals."

It was difficult for Reece to juggle being the lead in the musical, and trying to spend as much time as possible with her mom. But, even though she had voiced these concerns to Ms. Jenn, the woman reassured her that they would work around her schedule as best as they could and that if the pressure became too much she would always be able to back out.

♪♫ ♫♪

𝗢𝗡𝗖𝗘 𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗬 𝗠𝗔𝗗𝗘 it to school they were quickly greeted with massive bright red hearts and banners along the walls and lockers, some even managing to get on the ceiling.

The sister's walked to the drama club's rehearsal room, where everyone stood awaiting Ms. Jenn's instructions. Anne made her way over to Seb and Kourtney who sat at the piano, while Reece walked over to EJ by benches.

"You going through an emo phase, Caswell?" Reece's voice caused the boy to look up from his script and smile at the redhead.

He closed the script before replying to the girl, "Think it's a little too late for that."