Chapter Ten: Skyler and Hayden

*Picture of Natalie*

*Skyler's POV*

I walk in the house after Nick drops me off and see my brother sitting on the couch.

"Hey," I sign. He looks at me with his eyebrows raised.

"Where have you been?" He signs.

Uh oh, someone's in trouble, Rocky says.

Shut up! I say back.

"With Nick." I sign giving a convincing smile that probably made me look too innocent.

"In the middle of the woods?" He asks, a sly smile on his face.

"We were hiking," I sign, my face blank now. How does he know where I was?

"In the same spot," he signs, sitting back into the couch.

"We hiked to a clearing to have lunch. Darren was there too," I sign, making stuff up on the spot.

"See," he signs, still smiling, "your story is almost believable. But I happen to know where Darren and Nick were. I saw them at Target which leaves you....where?" My face pales. I feel my hands get sweaty. He knows I was up to something but I won't give him the satisfaction of telling him that.

"Okay you got me. I went out into the woods to get away from everyone and found a clearing that I have been going to every once in a while when I want to be alone. It's my happy place." I sign, looking down at my feet to make it more believable. I even conjure up a few tears for effect. "How did you know where I was?"

"I put a tracking app on your phone while you were sleeping," he signs, looking guilty.

"You what!" I sign, angry. "Why would you do something like that?"

"To make sure you aren't hanging out with that asshole," he signs.

Oh shit, Rocky says.

Oh shit is right. A rumbling feeling in my throat tells me that I'm growling. "Do not call him that. You don't even know him," I sign.

"Did you just growl at me?" He asked looking shocked. I growl at him again feeling my eyes go black because Rocky wants to come out and protect her mate's name. "What's going on with your eyes?" I ignore his questions. I storm over to him and lean in close to him. It's getting hard to control Rocky and I feel her pushing down the barriers that I set up to keep her from taking control.

I feel myself being pushed to the back of my own head by Rocky while she takes full control of my body.

"No one will disrespect my mate!" Rocky yells at Hayden. I hope she doesn't hurt him. I'm mad at him too for calling Trace that mean name but I didn't want him hurt for it.

Don't worry so much I won't hurt him. Even if I am mad at him he is family. Rocky says in my head.

"What's a mate?" Hayden asks. All of the sudden I felt in control on my body again and Rocky hide in the back of my head. Rocky gave me back control.

"Never mind," I sign regaining control. "Don't worry about it. I'm going to my room, I'm tired."

-------------------------

Hayden's POV

I stare in disbelieve as Skyler walks up the stairs to her room. I hear the distant slam of her door closing.

Something's off with her and I'll be damned if I don't find out what it is. What is a mate? What is wrong with her. This is not the Skyler I grew up with.