Reaping Day

It was the reaping day for the 65th annual Hunger Games. All children between ages of 12 and 18 were forced to present themselves for a fight to the death. While every district was forced to offer up two tributes for the games, the reactions differed. In the career districts such as 1 and 2, the older teens were bouncing with excitement in hopes to represent their district with pride. In almost every other district though children were completely terrified as imminent death seemed to loom over them. This even held true in District 4, which happened to be a career.

Avalon Flemming awoke with a jolt. She was not expecting to be woken up before the Sun had risen. She was also not expecting to be woken up with a body on top of her. She opened her eyes to see the sea green eyes of her best friend, Finnick Odair, looking back at her. She groaned in annoyance.

"Seriously Finnick. Is this necessary? For just one time i my life I might want to sleep until after the Sun comes up." Avalon said annoyed.

"Sorry AJ, no can do. What kind of best friend would I be if I didn't wake you up at the crack of dawn," Finnick said.

Ah yes, AJ. Stands for Avalon Jade. Her first and middle name. One of the many nicknames FInnich has come up with for Avalon over the years. Some of the other ones consist of Aves, Averi, Ava, Lo, Jade, or Flambe.

Avalon pushed Finnick off her, causing him to fall to the floor with a thud. Soon after, footsteps could be heard rushing up the stairs. Avalon's mother quickly opens the door and her face changes from a panic to a knowing look.

"Hello Finnick. How are you doing this wonderful morning?" Lyra voiced with a tone of sarcasm.

"I'm doing great Mrs. Flemming. I was just checking out your daughter's floor and it appears to be in great shape. How are you?" Avalon giggled at Finnick's attempt to joke with her mother.

"Well I was doing just fine sleeping until I was woken up by a very loud noise. Would you happen to know what that was?" Lyra spoke.

Both Avalon and Finnick aggressively shook their heads.

"Oh well. I must be hearing things" she said as she walked out of the room. "And please stop climbing through my daughter's window."

Finnick's and Avalon's cheeks flushed pink. They shook it off and went back to their banter.

"Come on. Get up. We have 4 hours before the reaping which means we have 3 hours and 45 minutes in the water," Finnick announced. Being from District 4, both Avalon and Finnnick loved the sea. It was actually how they met.

"If you think that it only takes me 15 minutes to get ready you are absolutely insane. Plus my mother is already mad at you today. Do you want her to be even more mad," Avalon uttered.

"Fine Princess. Since we can't swim or else you won't have enough time to look pretty, what do you suggest we do?" Finnick questioned with a smirk.

The nickname caused butterflies to erupt in Avalon's stomach. Her best friend had given her hundreds of nicknames over the years, but never any ones like Princess. Nicknames like those were only used by Freya Harper. 

"Don't call me that," Avalon muttered about to turn red.

"Would you prefer sweetheart or darling? Or what's that one Freya calls you all the time? Love?" Finnick continued on.

Avalon quickly changed the subject, "We could go meet Freya right now. She's probably down at the docks with her father."

Finnick's lips turned down at her subject change. He shook it off as he followed Avalon down to the docks.

. . .