Chapter Ten

Carter

          THE SAND is hot between my toes, but not too unbearable. It reminds me of the time up at Lake Michigan, trailing through the thick heated beach front, wishing my flip flops would lessen the agony rather than fling it up on my calves. So yeah, this isn't nearly as bad. Plus, Jackie isn't complaining, so I feel obligated not to, either. If she isn't complaining about something, it really must not be that bad.

          Then again, she could be more distracted about the fact that we keep getting closer and closer to where Jacob and Brody are standing in line outside the restrooms. I don't see Drake, and hope that means he isn't here. I haven't had any problems, though, so I'm not really too worried about it, anyway.

          Jackie continues to fidget progressively more and more as we close in, making random comments about how blue the sky is, how hot pink always looks good on tan girls, how she's so pale, etc., all while tugging at her hair and adjusting her top. I wonder what it's like, to be so self-conscious around a particular person. I guess I can kind of relate when it comes to Leo, but not really. I never cared about what I looked like. I cared about how he reacted toward me. I cared about getting him to loosen up. To laugh a little. Jackie cares about looking decent enough that Brody might take the opportunity to actually look at her for once, and not see some random girl from school. I decided not to tell her that it doesn't matter whether she looks okay in her bathing suit or not, he only sees the people Drake wants him to see.

          Jacob, on the other hand, can see us clearly. His hand comes up as he spots us, a friendly smile spread across his face. "Carter! What's up?"

          Brody turns toward us, but someone comes out of the restroom and he awkwardly shuffles inside. Jacob falls against the brick wall, not even flinching as I wince at the thought of rough brick sliding up against smooth skin. He doesn't move away, though, just puts his hands in the pockets of his swim trunks and crosses one ankle over the other, the friendly smile turning into a lazy one as Jackie and I come up to him.

          Jackie stirs, clearly not as interested in being around him rather than Brody, but I wink at him and put my hands on my hips.

          "Babysitting?" I ask, earning a quick laugh from him.

           "It does kind of look that way, doesn't it?" He considers, then shakes his head. "Nah. He had to use the bathroom and I'd rather follow him here than sit around Drake and watch him try to flirt with a group of middle schoolers."

          "He's gone that low, has he?"

          "Well, they could be incoming freshmen. I don't know. Flat chests and lots of giggles."

          I nod, surveying the lake's view as if I could spot him in this crowd. Almost before I even started, I stop, because I don't want to find him, anyway. "You would think there wouldn't be such a long wait for the bathrooms, being that most people pee in the lake, anyway."

          Jackie shudders, but doesn't comment, because then she'd be a hypocrite. Jacob shrugs, glancing at the noticeably longer line to the girl's bathroom. "Well, a lot of it is girls going in groups, which they like to do for some reason. And plus, girls might need to change tampons, or whatever."

          Jackie turns away, a signal that she wants no part of this conversation. Jacob and I both notice it, respect her decision, and angle more toward each other, leaving her to her space. I cross my arms, shaking my head. "I don't know. There might be a couple girls on their periods, but honestly the last thing the majority of girls wants to do is go to the lake on their period. Too risky. You're right about the groups, though."