21. He Was Iron Man

 Where is she?

He just had to get distracted by Scott Lang again and lose sight of her. At least last time, he had a grip on her to keep her close. Now, she's lost in a sea of fighting and hurt. She looked so incredibly hurt.

Holding the gun close to his chest gives him little comfort as he races through his allies and enemies alike, trying to catch sight of her hair or her unusable eye. The last thing he remembers before waking up was the horror in her gaze as she ran towards him, then simply darkness.

Alien blood sprays against his uniform, but Bucky doesn't care as he searches the battlefield. The small raccoon he remembers from Wakanda fights by his side with the same gusto as before. "Gun still not for sale?"

Bucky does not respond.

"I get it, I get it. Not gonna give up a present from your girl. She's a real firecracker, that one."

Shooting down an alien that would have ripped Steve in two, Bucky turns to the raccoon and narrows his eyes. "Where is my girl?"

The raccoon grins. "If I had to place my bets, I'd go with as close to the danger as possible."

"Cap, what do you want me to do with this damned thing?" Bucky hears Barton yell over coms.

"Get those stones as far away as possible!"

"No! We need to get them back where they came from."

"No way to get them back. Thanos destroyed the quantum tunnel."

"If we could get to Madagascar, we could use my prototype." Bucky can't help the smile on his face, his heart pounding as he desperately looks around. That's her voice. She's ok.

"Hold on. That wasn't our only time machine."

A song begins playing, and he hears Steve ask, "Does anyone see an ugly brown van out there?"

"Yeah, but you're not going to like where it's parked."

Bucky stops listening when he catches sight of a flash of lightning. There, in the center of a crater, aliens keel over as a woman swings her hands down. The earth in front of her cracks, and a plume of smoke erupts, the scent of rotting eggs filling the air as she continues running through the fray, clearing a path for Barton who runs behind her.

He can vaguely make out an enemy tackling Barton to the ground, but a flash of electricity from a long garrote topples it down. T'Challa takes the gauntlet, and she moves once more, this time clearing the way for the Black Panther.

His feet move quickly as he darts down to the fray. His heart beats rapidly when he sees Thanos approaching with a disciple. With a loud shout, he yells, "Behind you!"