Rang De

"Wake up Rosh!"
Hansa patted her hair. It was the last day she could see her daughter sleep this way. The thought made her sad as she saw Roshni sleep content. Her calm face looked beautiful.
" Umm..." Roshni opened her eyes to see her mother's eyes shining with tears. She sat up realizing why. She hugged her mother tight as a tear trickled down her eyes. She was leaving home.
Phool came into this emotional scene and tried to cheer them up, " Come here Hansa Mausi, you need to call up Aunty and ask when they are sending the Haldi, I need at least an hour to get Rosh ready." Hansa nodded and smiled as Roshni wiped away her tears.
" Phool, you are up already!"
"Yes, it's my best friend's wedding, each day is precious!" The two hugged and giggled, "Let's get you ready for the Haldi. Guests are coming already!"

Pratap was in his room, clad in a white kurta and dhoti checking himself in the mirror.
" I feel funny in this!" He complained.
" You can't wed in your suit bro!" Rohan was laughing.
" You seem very happy... Where were you all night?" Vishal scrutinized him. Pratap all of a sudden remembered that he last saw Rohan with Phool. He turned back, " Yeah, where were you all night?"
" At the bar, drinking!" Rohan laid back in Pratap's bed. " And I met a girl."
" A Girl?" Both the guys were looking at him shocked.
" But... But... Phool... You and..." Vishal thought aloud.
" What?" Rohan looked at his friends wide-eyed and sat up. " No, No, Bro! That's your girl I would never!"
" What were you doing at the bar that day then?"
" Healthy flirting... My thing!" He smiled at Vishal who was relieved. Phool and Rohan would have been much hard for him to digest.
Pratap was watching the two in the conversation. He interrupted.
" Okay... Now if your triangular love stuff is over can you concentrate back on me?" They laughed.
" Pratap!" His Mami walked in. " We are ready, come down to the grounds dear."
" Yes, Mami."
" Is he ready?" Jaivanta came in dressed in a white and red saree and looked at her son and smiled.
" Vishal, take a pic on my phone Beta, Pratap Singh in Dhoti is a once-in-a-lifetime sight!"
" Maa Saa. I told you am looking funny."
" Stop whining and pose!" Vishal took a picture, " Wait, one for my phone too!"
" Come down now, Mohurat is going... Roshni will be waiting for the Haldi."
" Aunty... Aunty..." Phool's voice made them turn. In a pink lehenga, she looked absolutely beautiful. Vishal stood fixated, at her sight.
" Aree Phool beta, come join the Haldi, then you can accompany Mami back to the bridal suites," Jaivanta suggested. Phool ignored Vishal's glances and said, " Hi Ro."
" Hey!" Rohan looked at Vishal with a wave.
" OMG Pratap! Dhoti!" Phool laughed at the sight as Pratap stood disgusted. " Why are you here?"
" Roshni send me."
" She did?" Pratap's frown turned to a smile.
" No, am Just making that up!" Phool laughed along with Rohan.
" I have an idea, am sending Bhabisa a pic!" Vishal was quick to add the pic to Roshni's WhatsApp.
" Wait a minute who the hell is Bhabisa?" Pratap was confused.
" Roshni of course, henceforth! Here... sent!"
" Then you are Jijusa too OMG!" Phool giggled.
" Get out all of you!"

Roshni was in her room, dressed in a beautiful cream-white saree and pearl jewellery. Ping! She checked her phone, and Vishal's message made her smile. Meanwhile, the ladies were on the palace ground smearing Pratap with Haldi. Then two bowls were handed over to Phool and Mami to take to Roshni's place. Phool was running down the corridor in a hurry. She was late and only 5 minutes of Mahurat were left. A turn and BAM! The bowl was all over her dress and face, she was smeared in Haldi.
" Look what you have done, you ruined my suit!"
Vishal shouted before noticing it was Phool. They looked at each other awestruck, both smeared in Haldi. Mami came up behind them,
" Arre! It looks like it's your Haldi."
She smiled as she dragged Phool away. Vishal stood there for a moment while Phool turned back to notice his face turn grim.

Roshni sat pretty as Phool recorded her Haldi ceremony to send Pratap. Hansa hugged her daughter and kissed her forehead. She had always been the best daughter she could have. She would go back home alone, without her.

After bathing and lunch, Phool was on the phone with her mehndi designer. " Come here quick, she is ready for her mehndi."
" Be calm Phool..." Roshni insisted, " By the way what happened in the morning?"
" What?" She stopped pacing.
" You were smeared with Haldi..."
" I bumped into Vishal... " Roshni smiled at her.
" I am confused, Rosh."
" About?"
" He still loves me. I was not ready for a serious commitment."
" You are now?"
" I dunno...." She looked away, as Roshni tried to read her mind.
" Leave it, it's your day... I think the Mehndiwala is here, let me check." Phool got up and left.

Roshni's hands and feet were painted with beautiful mehndi motives and Phool was excited to spot Pratap's name on her palms.
" You know I heard that it's a ceremony for some people that the husband finds his name in the wife's hand before Suhagrat otherwise he is not allowed to enter the room." One of the " I Know It All" Aunties commented as everyone laughed and Roshni turned red as she heard Phool gush " Then this will be fun, I will make sure Pratap spends his in the garden!"

" Hey!" Vishal called after Phool after dinner. Phool stopped on her track.
" I am sorry." He apologised,
" For?" She looked utterly confused.
" Shouting, this morning."
" Ohh that was my fault."
" My God You have changed!" He exclaimed.
" Changed?" She asked surprised.
" Yeah, I mean The Phool Rathore, never accepted a mistake."
" The Phool Rathore was a kid." She knew what he was talking about.
An awkward silence followed.
" I need your help."
" Help?"
" Pratap wants to meet Roshni. So be at her balcony at midnight, he will come beneath it."

Entering the bridal suite Phool was in shock. A hundred relatives were sitting there with no intention to leave anytime soon and Roshni was surrounded by them. Time to put The Phool Rathore Mode on!
" OMG! You all are still here. Rosh needs a good sleep. Nobody likes a bride with eyebags and dark circles, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!" She kept her drama mode on until all the relatives left. Roshni smiled in relief. " You are a real saviour!"
" It's tough to be Phool you know!" Phool giggled.
"Now come with me!"
" Where to?"
Roshni carefully got up making sure her mehndi is intact and walked with Phool to the balcony.
" Wait here am coming!"
" But... Phool..."

" Roshni!" His whisper made her look down wide-eyed as he smiled at her sight.
" What are you doing here? You are not supposed to see me!" She was in shock.
" I just came to see if you are okay... why are your hands like that?"
" It's Mehndi. Go now. Am fine!"
"Let's get married then I will see how you push me away." He smiled teasingly.
" Go!" She controlled her smile to put up a strict face.
" Okay. I love you!" He ran off like a schoolboy.

" Phool, I think we are done here!" Roshni called after her friend. Phool came out with a smile.
" Am going inside!" Roshni walked inside as Phool stood on the balcony looking down hoping to catch Pratap on the run but she was a tad bit late. Instead, someone else was in the garden.
" What are you doing out? You will catch a cold." Vishal's voice startled her as she turned to see him standing right below the balcony.
" No... I... was trying to catch Pratap."
" You can never, he's too fast"
" I know... remember that time we...."
The two were in a mood to re-live Roshni and Pratap's story. They were the closest people who knew every detail and Vishal and Phool sometimes liked to take credit for their relationship.
" Okay, it's late. Goodnight." He waved.
" Ohh god. Feels like ages I haven't laughed that hard," Phool was still in giggles.
" Well you can have fame in NY you won't find another me!" Vishal didn't mean to put it that way. Phool's giggle stopped as she looked at the guy who always loved her like crazy and she was an immature kid. Today, she felt different and confused not knowing if it was too late already.
" I... I gotta go." She stepped into the room in a hurry as he hurried back to his side.

Roshni lay awake in bed nervous about the day ahead. she looked at her mehndi again, her hands never looked so pretty, and her eyes hovered around his name and then her ring. She smiled to calm her heartbeat. Her hands were cold and numb she felt, and so were her feet. She just didn't feel like sleeping. She went to her window and looked down at the deserted ground well decorated for their wedding. The moonlight came in to fill the bridal chamber as her red lehenga seemed to peep at her from the wardrobe. Her wedding jewellery was all laid down on the table. She looked around and then back at the sky. the stars and the moon. She breathed heavily. Can't wait to be yours, Pratap.

At the other end, in another dark room, a groom sat smiling at how beautiful his bride looked in the Haldi video. She was smiling, blushing and enjoying the wedding just like he wanted. I can't wait to make you mine...