Chapter Five: The Bad News

Victor's parents were still with the Everglot's residence.

While their coach man, Mayhew, remained outside to wait for them to return.

He was standing next to the horse and the carriage, and as he let out a few nasty coughs, he took out his pipe and lit it up for a smoke break.

The horse stayed still in it's usual spot, and then moved it's head and let out a neigh.

Meanwhile, the two families were sitting by the fireplace and talk amongst each other with having a cup of tea while they waited for Victor to come back.

Victoria was standing by the window, desperately awaiting her future husband's return.

As she stared outside, she had become worried about Victor.

It was a very cold night, and most of the folks in the land of the living were safe and staying warm inside their homes.

Then, she heard her mother speaking to her.

"Victoria, come away from the window".

Madeline Everglot said to her daughter, without a "please or "thank you".

Victoria obediently did what was asked of her.

She walked away from the window and made her way towards the sofa where her parents sat down.

"Oh, I'm sure he'll be back shortly. He's terrified of the dark".

Neil Van Dort reassured the Everglots.

"In fact when he was a boy, he used to wet combinations. Didn't he William"?

Victor's mother said, as she nudged her husband's in the elbow.

Then, there was a knock on the door.

"Enter"!

Finis called out.

The double doors opened, and in came Lord Bittern Barkis.

"Ah, Lord Barkis. I trust the room is to your liking"?

Madeline said to the much-older man.

"Why thank you. You are a most gracious hostess".

Lord Barkis said with dignity.

"Which is why it pains me to be the bearer of...

...such bad news"

He said while looking at Finis Everglot closely.

Then, he snapped his fingers, and in came the Town Crier, holding his bell.

"Would you care to repeat tonight's headline for us"?

Lord Barkis asked.

And with that, the Town Crier began to loudly announce the evening news:

"Hear ye Hear ye! Victor Van Dort seen in the arms of a mystery woman! The dark haired temptress! And then, Master Van Dort slips away into the night"!

When he was finished, the Town Crier proceeded to tell everyone about the night's weather.

"And now the weather, scattered showers full of...

"Enough! That will be all".

Lord Barkis interrupted, and sent the Town Crier on his way.

"Mystery woman? He doesn't even know any women".

Neil Van Dort said matter-of-factly.

"Or so you thought? Do call me if you need my assistance...in any way".

Victoria stared at Lord Barkis in shock as he left the room, closing the double doors behind him.

"Good heavens, Finis. What should we do"?

Madeline asked her husband as she stood up from her seat.

"Fetch me musket"!

Finis called out to Emil the butler.

"Oh, William. Do something"!

Neil begged her husband.

William quickly ran over and took the musket away from Emil.

"Um...the Town Crier might've just have a slow day. You know how to is? You need a little something to cry about"?

He said to Finis, and then he went over to return the musket to it's proper place.

"Regardless! We are one groom short for the wedding tomorrow "!

Then, Finis remembered something.

"Not to mention the financial implications".

He said with worry.

"A most scandalous embarrassment for us all".

Madeline said out loud in disgrace.

"Oh, give us a chance to find him. We beg of you. Just give us until dawn".

Neil Van Dort offered, as her wrapped his arm around her shoulder in comfort.

"Very well. Til' dawn".

Madeline said as waved her hand out, signaling for them to carry on.