8. Warrior Dastan Ahmad

A/N
I did a Double Update today! Kindly read Ch7 before reading this one!

Dunkin marched up to the guardsmen, trying to ogle at his surroundings in the least suspicious way possible. Then out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a swift someone moving on the other side of the palace wall. He kept his walk as straight as a guardsman and pressed the AI chip on his wrist.

"Detect heartbeat 25 feet, left," he whispered.

'Heartbeat detected. Pulse 110 beats per minute.' The female robotic voice chimed in his head. He smirked. No doubt it was Julian's palace. Adorned by spies at every corner.

"Warrior Rakian is taking a rest in the encampment area." He blindly told the guardsmen.

"And what about Garenoh?" The guardsman spat.

'Bro, bro, who the fuck is this Gargoyle?!' Dunkin panicked instantly.

He started nevertheless, "Oh, about warrior Garg-"

'He was called in to aid Julian at the last moment! And he's GARENOH! Not a fuckin piece of goth architecture!'

"He was called in to aid J- His Honour, at the last moment, in Alexandria." He said, without any emotion. But his heart inside was having a riot day.

"Alright." The guardsman nodded and parted the way for him.

"Gosh, these damned names..." Dunkin bent over his knee to take a breather as they reached a secluded corner. "I'm just so mad that I won't be paid for the spy shit I'm pulling."

"Trust me, people here would believe more in Dunkin to be a cat's name than a human's." Lorenzo snickered. "Now, do you think Cors AI book is worth it?" He asked dryly, passing him one bronze helmet that would cover their face. He was still ready to abandon this wild chase and be at peace.

"Man, you don't understand. It's five years of her writing. And you just witnessed those snakes for women, right? Imagine Cors living amongst them, every day, to do the department's work. To goddamn write! which was so not allowed for women to do." He wheezed as he felt his throat pricking dry.

No, he couldn't imagine his best friend being brutally questioned by the department as she stood there alone, explaining the reason for not destroying her book.

She was too good at heart. That she couldn't even leave an ancient man out of her goodness.

The two modern spies climbed up the narrow stairs to reach the back part of the fifth royal floor. Lorenzo informed Dunkin about a secret passage to the sixth floor while he chose the main path to reach there, being confident enough to recognize the ways. The bronze helmet shielded their faces.

The floor which contained Coretta's book was mostly dark, grey and bleak, with a few fire torches lighting the end of every hallway. The air smelt of old mud and emptiness. Guards in helmets patrolled the area.

'Her book is at the centre of this arena.' Dunkin messaged as he and Lorenzo parted ways. He deciphered the strategy of such a location so that if anyone tried to tamper with the book, guards from all directions could quickly assemble at one point.

'Guess your roofied drink didn't reach here.' Lorenzo voiced when he witnessed the high-on-alert guardsmen. The floor was giving an eerie vibe, as if criminals from long ago had been killed here and their tortured souls roamed the hallways. He felt a tremor run down his spine.

There was something in the way the walls were built here. Echo walls. Everything echoed around here. Even the guardsmen's footsteps and the occasional thud of their spears on the ground.