49. Minister Aarmen

The grand library of Romanos, with its towering shelves of ancient scrolls and the hushed whispers of scholars, was where Minister Tareq of the neighbouring kingdom of Naucratis first laid eyes on Aarmen. 

The young man was engrossed in his work, his quill dancing across a parchment, his brow furrowed in concentration. His dedication and the meticulousness with which he handled the delicate scrolls immediately impressed Tareq, a keen observer of talent.

Approaching Aarmen's table with a quiet step, he cleared his throat gently. Aarmen looked up, his eyes momentarily startled before settling into a polite curiosity. "Forgive the intrusion, young scholar," he began, his voice warm and resonant, "but I am Tareq, a minister from the kingdom of Naucratis."

Aarmen immediately recalled Naucratis to be the trading post in ancient Egypt which lay by the Canopic branch of the Nile, south-east of the Mediterranean sea and the city of Alexandria.

Surprised by the unexpected introduction, he rose to his feet, offering a respectful bow. "It is an honour to meet a dignitary such as yourself. I am Alexan," he replied, a respectable smile on his face.

Aarmen couldn't help but be captivated by the minister's regal presence. His robes, woven from the finest Egyptian linen, were adorned with intricate gold embroidery depicting scenes of pharaohs and gods. A jewelled scarab beetle, a symbol of rebirth and transformation, glinted on his chest, catching the light as he moved.

"The honour is mine, Alexan," Tareq countered with a warm smile. "I have been noticing your scholarly pursuits in this library, ever since its establishment. And I must say, I am deeply impressed. In fact, that is precisely why I have sought you out."

Intrigued, Aarmen gestured for Tareq to take a seat. "I am not sure how I could be of service to you," he said, his brow furrowed.

Tareq's eyes sparkled with enthusiasm. "Our kingdom, as you may know, is a vibrant hub of trade and culture. Under the magnanimous rule of our Pharaoh, we have enjoyed an era of peace and prosperity. However, we are always looking for ways to further enhance our cultural and intellectual pursuits. That is where you come in, Alexan."

"Me?" Aarmen asked, still puzzled.

"Indeed," Tareq affirmed. "We are in need of a skilled scribe writer, someone who can not only thoroughly record our history and laws but also contribute to the flourishing of arts and literature in our kingdom. Your reputation as a scholar precedes you, and I believe you would be the perfect fit for this role."

Tareq paused, allowing his words to sink in. Then he added, "Imagine, Alexan, a life in Naucratis. A city where the waters of the Mediterranean lap at the feet of majestic palaces. A place where scholars from across the known world gather to share their wisdom, where the arts flourish under the patronage of a benevolent Pharaoh. And you, Alexan, with your undeniable talent, would be at the heart of it all."

Aarmen's heart skipped a beat. The allure of palace life, the grandeur he had only heard his teammates talk, was a tempting prospect. "But what of Romanos?" he asked hesitantly. "My work here..."

"Your work here is undoubtedly valuable," the minister acknowledged, "but think of the impact you could have in Naucratis. We are on the cusp of a new era, with the great Julian Romanowski himself appointing our Pharaoh as a satrap. This alliance promises even greater prosperity for our kingdom. And with your help, we can ensure that our cultural and intellectual achievements match our political and economic ones."

Tareq's words, like honeyed nectar, dripped into Aarmen's ears, filling him with a yearning for the vibrant life that awaited him in Naucratis. The allure of the unknown, the promise of a life beyond the dusty scrolls of Romanos, was irresistible.