Chapter 10: Do I Have the Right?

Time: April 26th, X820, afternoon

Location: Somewhere around Magnolia

Objective: Find

Tweets of happiness echoed in the endless forest. The canopy welcomed the afternoon's sun with open arms. Down below in the understory, critters squeaked and chirped as they scurried along the maze of branches and vines. Leaves, sticks, and roots littered the forest floor. A few plants desperately reached for the few sunbeams. Most cowered within the shadows.

A young woman with scarlet locks trudged through the sea of green and brown. Mud and dirt coated the sides of her black, knee-high boots as they dug up the dirt. Twigs remained snagged in her hair. Burrs stuck to her sleeveless blue shirt. Dust patches remained on her matching skirt. Her glazed brown eyes stared ahead.

'My dear father...is actually a criminal...No way. He was lying, right?...And this morning when I asked him why before I left...he said it was all for Zeref in his head...Wait, that was The Black Wizard, right? The one our parents all defeated?'

So the Black Wizard lives on in spirit, huh?

Rosemary gasped.

"Who's there?!" she cried out.

She requipped out her double-bladed spear and whirled around.

Relax, Rosemary Irene. It's me.

"You don't make me relax at all! You haven't identified yourself!" the scarlet teenager cried out.

I will at a later time. Right now it seems like you need someone to talk to.

"No I don't!!"

Really? You're crying.

Rosemary's hand made contact with the cold water dripping down her face.

"Huh...look at that," she mumbled, wiping them away.

Also, your hair bow is missing.

She slowly ran her fingers through her long, rough locks.

You love your father dearly.

"Of course I do! I'm just...I'm just...what's the word...stunned, I guess?"

That sounds accurate.

"Why do you care?! Why are you even here?! You're such a creep, lady! You can hear all of my thoughts and all of my emotions!"

And witness everything you do.

"That makes it worse!"

Would you prefer I be a man doing this?

"No...I wouldn't..."

Then it's not all bad.

"Easy for you to say," she grumbled.

The voice didn't respond.

"So, how did you know? Besides reading my thoughts."

That you wanted someone to talk to other than Reiki? Because I've witnessed people in a similar position. Where they hear shocking news and they don't want to believe it. One person in particular became very violent.

"Why?"

<sigh> It's a long story. Although I'm sure you've heard it before.

"I doubt it."

You'd be surprised. Anyways, I think it would be worth it to get to know you better.

"While I still don't know anything about you." Rosemary muttered.