Chapter One

It was the silence that woke me. The endless void that, if broken, could bring each blissful family to heartbreak; ruin. Preparation Day was sometimes worse than the Reaping. No one dared to speak, lest it bring misfortune to their family. But the dissimilarity between the days made many weep nonetheless. It was every five years that a ritual was completed; that a sacrifice was made.

Except the sacrifice wasn't an animal. Rather, a maiden of maturity.

***

The streets were silent, the only noise being the trotting of horses as they trod along the road, pulling along carts. Even they didn't dare to whinny, as if they knew the mourning that would occur the next day. Though there was a market being held, the town was ghostly silent, the only remnants of the once joyful occasion being the quiet clinks of coins as items were bought. I didn't care for such superstitions, so as I walked, I didn't bother masking my steps or quiet mutterings.

When I saw my friend, Delilah, I linked arms with her and greeted her. She grinned and we went to sit by the edge of the forest to speak. Her appearance was the opposite of mine. Her skin was chocolate brown, smooth and flawless, and she had used some sort of chemical in her hair so her wild curls were a gentle gold. She was beautiful. I looked like many of the other girls in the town, having pale skin and dark hair; a common look. If you were lucky, you would be born with golden hair and would have a guaranteed hand in marriage with a wealthy man. The rest of us would remain at the bottom. I supposed that was why she coloured her hair – to see if she would have such luck.

"How is your family?" Her parents, much like my own, were distraught about the Reaping, and I knew that Delilah would have to watch them slowly crumble as the day came closer. If she was chosen, they would break. I'd seen it before with the family living next to mine. Even if she wasn't chosen, there would be no healing the scars dug into them, as they would need to re-live it all over again when her little sister became of age at the next Reaping.

"Bold move talking on Preparation Day," she hummed, braiding a few strands of grass. Her fingers were quick and nimble, though she paid little attention to her own fiddling. "If you're not careful, the Head Representative will punish you."

I huffed out a laugh. "Honestly, Delilah. I thought you didn't care for such superstitions."

Her smirk, though she tried to put on a strong façade, wavered. "To answer your question, they're a mess. Right now, they're doing every ritual they can think of to bring our family luck. It's a whole lot of nonsense, but it brings them comfort."

I silently nodded. Our parents were the same in that way. I supposed it was easier for me. Unlike her, I didn't have a massive family – just my father. It was easier to let go. I was told my mother had died in a fire when I was just a babe, but there was no marked grave for her.

"It's unlikely either of us will be chosen," I murmured. "There are ten girls and only one will be selected. They say it's random, but we all know the most beautiful girls are more likely to be chosen."

She hummed in agreement. "It's likely going to be Rebeka," she replied. Rebeka was one of the few gifted with golden hair and blue eyes. If she wasn't chosen, she would likely wed a man of wealth who was searching for a young and beautiful wife. Both fates could be considered horrid in their own ways.

"I wonder what it's like being at the top of the food chain," I mused. "I hear they don't let woman do anything but look pretty and bear children. What a waste of life."

"But they have warm beds and enough food." I nodded silently. That was what most of us lacked.

After about an hour, we decided to head back into the centre of town, where the Reaping would be held. We were expected to help set up for the next day. A stone bowl on a small pillar stood in the very centre of the town square, carvings of the Woods etched into its sides. The bowl itself was empty, but it would be what decided our fate the next day.