Chapter Nine

It was unusual to see the days pass swiftly. With my days full of history classes and training, I tumbled into bed after dinner each night, hardly having the energy to think, let alone socialise with the others. They didn't seem to care, even though I could feel their gazes burning into me as I traded upstairs after dinner. Since the night they had found the barrier in my mind, they hadn't attempted to try again, rather researching what they could. The spell they used drained me, so I wasn't complaining that I had time off.

I hadn't even thought about the odd dream from two weeks prior. Well, dreams. Every night since then, I'd seen flashes of the woman, sometimes of her humming and others of her just standing there. Every night, I would see her. Every night, I would wake up in cold sweat, my heart pounding. Yet I never saw her face.

"Good," Merilyn panted, ducking to avoid my kick. She had begun physical training a week ago and I was already exhausted. The ache in my bones from the first few training sessions had dulled, so I was able to cope with my burning muscles more as each day passed, but it didn't make it easier. As soon as Merilyn realised I had mastered one skill, she would push me even further to learn the next.

"You're telling me you trained from the age of five?" I asked through my heavy breaths, stumbling back as she lunged for me. I knew she was holding back her skill, so I had a chance of beating her, but it certainly didn't feel like it. Training most of her immortal life would've made her fighting become lethal, and it certainly was showing as she trained me.

"Every Above is taught to fight," she replied. "Unless, of course, your parents are set on the old ways and care for nothing but power through titles. Several women from the Houses were never taught, even if it goes against their instincts."

With that, she shoved my shoulder and sent me crashing onto the ground, where I let out a hiss of frustration. Her third win of that morning. She smiled grimly, holding out a hand which I gladly took, and helping me to my feet.

"You are still young. Don't be upset when you lose a match. I see your fangs, young mortal. Just remember that it took my whole life to get where I am."

"And how old are you?" I asked, folding my arms. Her lips curled into a smile.

"I thought you mortals were taught manners – don't you know it's rude to ask a lady her age?" Upon seeing my incredulous expression, she chuckled. "I'm three hundred and eighty-one years old."

I blinked, almost surprised. Of course, I knew most of the Above were old, considering their immortality, but being married to Casper, who was over two thousand years old . . . "Quite young compared to your husband," I casually commented.

"Age is almost worthless when you're immortal." She jerked her head, shifting her feet into a fighting stance. "Let's go again."

***

Merilyn ended our training a few hours early that day, claiming she had other business to attend to. I certainly didn't complain, and after taking a bath, I savoured the break by strolling through the gardens. It was peaceful and I was surprised to see no one around, but I was grateful for the silence. It gave me an opportunity to think through the unusual dreams.

The woman . . . She seemed so familiar. Of course, it was difficult to identify her without seeing her face, but there was an air about her. She held herself in a familiar way, as if she were important. I had to admit, she reminded me a lot of Lord Benroy or His Majesty in that way. I could only assume she came from one of the more powerful Houses. If the Above bore the physical traits of their houses, it meant she either came from the Fox, Wolf or Cat House. Then again, she might've been long dead; merely a whisper of an ancient Above. The reason why I was seeing her would remain a mystery.

"You're frustrated," a quiet voice murmured. I whirled around, finding myself face-to-face with Celaine. "I'm sorry that I startled you."

"It's alright," I replied, trying to calm my racing heart. I never would've guessed that someone as quiet as her could've scared me.

"We were never formally introduced," she said, offering me a smile. "My name is Celaine Benroy of the Lion House."

"Fida Clark," I replied stiffly. She offered me a smile, linking arms with me, and tugging me after her as she began to walk through the gardens. I let her tug me along, my brow furrowed as I watched her. What was she trying to do? Was she merely attempting to be friendly, or did she have another motive?

"I've never seen a human before." Her tone was tentative. She was prodding at the topic, trying to see how I would react. It wasn't surprising, after seeing how Casper responded to Lord Benroy's questions. Upon sensing the topic was somewhat safe, she pushed, "Why are you here?"

"I have no idea," I sighed. "I was chosen as a sacrifice, but the Woods rejected me. The king and prince are trying to figure out why I'm here."

"I see," she murmured. "I often see you training with Lady Merilyn; we all do. His Majesty has revealed nothing to us, so we are . . . wary, perhaps. Especially us heirs. Most of us have never left the palace's grounds, so seeing something new enter into our home is frightening."

I found myself nodding. "I can understand that. It was somewhat similar where I come from. Everyone was terrified of what lay within the Woods." It was a completely different situation, when taking into account the Above could kill my kind with ease, but she seemed to accept what I said, nodding slightly.

We walked in silence for a while longer, but it wasn't long until I felt a tremor. It was as if energy was pulsing throughout the ground itself. I stiffened, glancing at Celaine who was pouting miserably.

"What was that?" I asked warily, halting.

"His Majesty is angry with Father," was her only reply. Of course – I had forgotten that a show of power was used to assert dominance. The few times I'd felt it, there was nothing more than the temperature dropping. But for the ground itself to tremble . . .

"What are they arguing about?" I breathed. For the king to feel the need to use that sort of power, it must've been a serious topic.

"My House is the fourth-most powerful," Celaine sighed. "It is the highest House with a female child. The others only have sons. Father is trying to convince His Majesty to marry me."

I choked, gaping at her. "How on earth does he have the guts to ask such a thing?"

"His pride will be his downfall," she muttered. "Thankfully, he has made no progress in the past year, other than irritating His Majesty further."

"I'm assuming you're not thrilled with the idea of marrying him."

Her huff seemed to be a silent laugh. "Fida, any girl would love to rule as the queen. He is a good man, but I would much rather choose who I am to wed. Father follows the traditional ways, where people wed for status. He could easily offer me to any of the other heirs of the Houses, and with me being the female with the highest status, they would readily accept. But he is a selfish man and accepts nothing more than the best."

I had no response other than cringing when a second tremor filled the ground. This one was weaker than the last. I could only assume it came from Lord Benroy. My thoughts were confirmed when a third tremor struck, so powerful that I could've sworn the Woods itself held its breath. I certainly did.

"It's over," Celaine murmured a few moments later. She was right. The air lightened and I heard a snarl as we entered the building. "He has some nerve to challenge the king. I suspect it won't be long until His Majesty will grow tired of this debate."

"Celaine!" Lord Benroy was standing at the end of the hall, his eyes blazing with fury. Whether it was from his argument with the king or that Celaine had slipped away, I could not tell.

"I hope to see you again, Fida," Celaine said.

"Will we?" I dared to ask.

Her smile was genuine as she unlinked her arm from mine. "Isn't that what friends do?"

With that, she hurried down the hallway towards her father, who glared at her for not immediately responding. His eyes met mine for a moment, filling with either curiosity or disgust; I couldn't tell which. I watched silently as they walked away, Celaine trailing after him.

Friends. I liked the sound of that.