Epilogue

Almost a year had passed since Anwir tried to claim the throne. All of it seemed like a dream to me – in such a wonderful world, how could such pain exist? Even though I lived amongst a race that lived for power and would kill for it, it still seemed unbelievable to me. Perhaps it was because my family was with me, helping me to heal and grow.

Lord Cawther was appointed the new master of the Woods; a role he seemed to enjoy. And despite his cold nature, his first decree as the master was to demolish the tradition of human girls to be slaughtered. It was a gift to me, and one that I cherished. Over time, the humans would forget we existed, and perhaps that would be for the best.

The day was bright and balmy, and through the window drifted the scent of roses into the window where the maids fussed over my gown, adjusting the golden lace and tulle that was layered over the red silk. One maid passed me a bouquet to match.

Lord Cawther came to collect me, offering his arm before we walked down to the gardens together. When I asked him a few weeks prior, I did not expect him to accept my request. After all, I was not his daughter. But with my family passed, save for Drake, it felt only right that I asked him. And he seemed touched that I asked him to give me away.

Together, we walked through the garden and out into the Woods, where the Fae and faeries awaited us. As we made our way to the very front of the gathering, I turned to where my friends stood. Merilyn was cooing at a babe in her arms, Casper's arm wrapped around her. Beside them, Celaine and Drake were smiling widely at me. Having gotten married months prior, the former's stomach had already begun to swell, bringing a proud smile to my face.

Soon enough, I was standing in front of Cain, who peered down at me and smiled. His own clothing reflected my own, and I leaned forward to straighten his jacket – his favourite one, that he seemed delighted to wear again.

As we exchanged necklaces that hung around our necks – one blue and one red – we smiled at one another and turned to the people, our people. The world was full of both good and evil, but with my other half, perhaps a difference could be made.