Cut The Line

"We need to turn this boat around right now."

"What for?"

"Because it isn't safe. The current's far too strong."

"You think I don't know when someone is trying to fool me? What's the real reason you don't want us going over there?"

"I can't tell you."

"Why?"

"Because it'll only make things worse. You clearly have no clue how to heed sensible warnings."

"How dare you. Another insult like that and I'm throwing your ass overboard. Now tell me what is making you so fearful."

"Okay," he reluctantly said. "The truth is an enormous beast is slumbering in these waters. If it is awoken, it'll be the end of us all."

"Are you talking about him?"

"I am so please just turn around."

Much to his dismay, the man rowed even faster. His fishing companion grew even more afraid, especially knowing there was nothing he could do to stop the maniac rowing the boat from trying to draw it out. All he could do was pray fortune would be on their side and it would not bite his line.

"Please, let it stay asleep," he thought.

The boat stopped.

"I think this is a good spot. Hand me that bovine head would you?"

His fishing companion didn't move. He only sat there, trembling in fear. The man rolled his eyes.

"Coward," he spat, snatching the head lying in front of him.

He proceeded to hook it onto the end of his fishing line. He stood up and stretched his arms, wanting to make sure his cast went as far as possible.

"Alright. You may want to move a bit. Otherwise, my line might end up hitting you."

When he didn't respond, the man shrugged and got ready to throw his line. He planted his feet so firmly on the boat it actually sank a little. With all his strength, he cast the line as hard as he could. The juicy head attached to it landed in the water with a loud splash.

"I've cast my line four times now," the man said, frustrated after some hours went by. "Where is it?"

"Maybe it won't show after all," his companion thought, allowing himself to grow a little optimistic.

His optimism became short-lived due to what happened next. Suddenly, everything grew silent accompanied by an eerie stillness. The man did not recognize this for the obvious omen it was. His companion, however, did.

He opened his eyes, seeing the head floating down towards him. His stomach growled.

Hm? What could this be?

He snapped, consuming the head in a single bite. Meanwhile, the man on the boat was rejoicing.

"I think I finally got it," he exclaimed, giving his line a hard tug.

My first meal in ages.

The color from his companion's face drained. Around them, waves began thrashing, making the boat they were in rock violently. Yet, the man paid this no mind. Nor did he pay any mind to the storm clouds that had suddenly accumulated to cover the only moments ago, clear sky. Instead, all his attention was focused on waiting for him to surface.

His companion knew that if he didn't do something it would be the end of them all. Unfortunately, he was nowhere near strong enough to stop him from going through with it. If he were, this situation wouldn't be happening. However, there was something he could do. Quickly, he pulled his knife from his belt.

His companion was distracted, getting ready to strike with his hammer. As the serpent's enormous head started surfacing, he cut the line, and the monster began descending back to the ocean floor.

"Damn you, Hymir," the man roared.

With a single swing of the fisherman's hammer, Hymir's head exploded with a sickening crunch. His limp headless body fell, sinking into the water. The fisherman stood there, covered in blood and seething in rage at the revenge he'd been robbed of. Eventually, he started rowing back to shore.

"One day, Jörmungandr," Thor thought. "One day."