Chapter 3

Snow

Four Months Later

"Can I borrow your notes," Jessica asked.

The hallway was packed as it carried them to the side door. Jessica was a Frenchman studying overseas. They became fast friends on their first day, seeing that they were lost and spoke English. Jessica even helped Snow get into the campus housing.

Staying in hotels was expensive; so was this school, and she still wasn't sure where to stay permanently. Not like she could afford it, Snow's luck in the career department was terrible. It was all good until it was discovered that she had ruined a concert. No one wanted a loose cannon in their ensemble.

"Yeah, here," Snow said, handing over the notebook.

"I need last week's too," she smiled.

"That's in my old notebook. It's back in the room," Snow said.

After making it back to the dorm, Snow fished out the notebook. As usual, Jessica was laid out on the bed texting her new guy friend of the week. Her grades wouldn't be as bad if she spent more time studying than clubbing. Jessica's eyes popped up from her screen, and she eyed Snow curiously.

"Do you drink?"

Snow knew where this was going, and she didn't have time for it. She needed a job; her money was running out fast. Snow nodded.

"Come out with me tonight. It'll be fun," Jessica said, "A club called Heaven. This guy named Orochi invited me and told me to bring a friend."

"Orochi? Does he go here?"

"No, he's a local, super cute, and rich," she smiled.

"I don't know, Jess. We have exams coming up, and I really need to be looking for a job," Snow said.

"Didn't I just say that Orochi is rich? He could help with that. He might know someone looking for a violinist. Besides, all you do is study and job hunt. You need a break," Jessica said, "Please, I don't want to go alone. What happened to the buddy system?"

Snow sat on her bed. Jessica was playing on her responsible heartstrings. Besides some restaurants, she hasn't done anything since being in Tokyo. It would be nice to go out. One night wouldn't hurt.

Snow sighed and leaned back, "What time should I be ready?"

Jessica squealed, "Thank you! We're going to have so much fun."

Some hours later, after the sun went down, they got dressed and made their way over to Heaven. Orochi was insistent on them riding over together. Snow would've preferred if Kenji drove them, but he was busy that night. Jessica rode in the front with Orochi while Snow was in the back, tucked between two of his friends. They wore suits and dress shoes, donning tattoos that peeked out from their collars or sleeves.

"Is this your first time to Heaven," one guy asked.

"It is. How is it there," Snow asked.

"The best party in town," the other chimed in.

Snow smiled, "Thank you for inviting us. I can't wait."

"Just wait till the after-party, and you can thank us later," he said, placing his hand on her knee.

Snow's eyes jumped to Jessica, but she was too busy giggling with Orochi. She didn't mention anything about thanking anyone. Snow gave an awkward laugh and pushed his hand off.

"I have class in the morning. We both do."

The guy on her left said something, to which Orochi responded too. He looked over to Jessica and smiled.