Chapter 6

Niko

Irritation didn't begin to cover his feelings as he redialed Snow. Her phone kept going to voicemail. She was ignoring him, and he wasn't going to stand for it. After his meeting at Heaven, he would be paying her a visit. The ideal thing would be to go now, but he couldn't reschedule this meeting.

Niko and his men moved to the strip club in the basement of the club. The Red Dragons loved their whores and drugs; they shared it all as a peace offering. Every month they met to keep tensions low and discuss any issues that rose up after the last gathering. No matter how innocent they appeared to be, Niko knew they were up to something.

As he walked through the frosted glass doors, Niko spotted the Dragon's leader. The man was hard to miss with his tattooed bald head. Their rowdy voices carried over the music. You couldn't even see the table; it was buried in drinks. The women were scantily dressed and painted like clowns.

"Ryo, you made it. Have a drink," Orochi said.

His arm was draped around a brunette with dark eyes. Niko sat at the table, and Kaito caught his attention; he wasn't with his usual girl. Kaito served as Orochi's right hand. The woman had her hand up, covering her face. Even covered, she seemed familiar, but Niko couldn't place where. Maybe she was a dancer.

The girl slid out of the booth and headed to the restrooms. Her hair blocked his view of her face. She should've been more worried about her ass falling out the back of her dress. Kaito and everyone else at the table enjoyed the view.

"Maybe she's not feeling well," Orochi's girl said, "I'll go and check on her."

"Stay where you are. She's a big girl," Orochi said.

Niko sipped his drink, "How are things on your end?"

"Good. The usual. Numbers are going up, and the cops are paid off," he said.

"Good," Niko said.

As he poured another drink, the girl came back to the table. His eyes went wide as she slid into the booth. He definitely recognized her. Niko examined her low-cut dress and her done-up face. Their eyes met for a second before she quickly looked away. The sake spilled into his lap; he slammed the bottle down on the table. Kaito and Orochi glanced at him.

Was she working for them, trying to get information from him? Was she a call girl, and he didn't know it?

"My cut was short this week," Niko said, not taking his eyes off of Snow.

Kaito's hands wandered under the table, and she moved over some. He closed the newly formed distance between them. The pit of Niko's stomach got hot.

"Was it? I'll fix it right away," Orochi said.

"Be sure that you do," Niko said.

"Another drink," Kaito asked, leaning into Snow.

Before she could even answer, he filled Snow's glass again. They caught each other's gaze again; this time, it lingered. Kaito followed her gaze and leaned back in his seat.

"Do you know each other," Kaito asked.

"No. How do you know each other," Niko said.

"She's my friend. I invited her," Orochi's girl said.

Kaito scoffed, "5k to get her here, and she's no fun."

Snow glared at him.

"I'll take her off your hands for 10k," Niko said, reaching into his jacket pocket.

Snow's scornful leer landed on him, and Niko smirked.

"How do you know each other?"

"I told you we don't. If you're not having a good time with her, then cut your losses," Niko shrugged.

"Cash only."

Niko snapped his fingers, and one of his men dropped the cash on the table. Snow's hands slapped the table as she stood from her seat.

"Anyone wants to hear my opinion," Snow asked, meeting Niko's stare head-on.

"You're getting paid all the same, why does it matter," Niko said.

Her expression morphed from angry to hurt. Snow's brows pulled together. Kaito collected the money with a smile.

"Hold on a minute," Orochi's girl said, "You all can't--"

"Don't get involved. She'll be just fine," Orochi said.

"If our business is done, we'll be leaving," Niko said, standing from the table.

Snow looked over to Orochi's girl for a minute before grabbing her purse. She pushed past him and headed for the door. How was she angry at him?

"Enjoy," Kaito laughed.

Niko picked up his speed to catch up with her on the stairs. He grabbed her by the elbow and pressed her against a wall. She refused to look at him, but even from the side, her eyes were teary.

"You didn't answer my calls or texts," Niko said.

"When someone kicks you out of their car. You don't speak again. How dare you treat me--"

"You're right. I'm sorry, it won't happen again," Niko said.

Her eyebrows almost touched her hairline, "What?"

"I'm sorry."

She watched him in disbelief and sighed.

"I wasn't done yelling at you yet," Snow said.

Niko smiled and placed his jacket around her, "You can finish in the car while I drive you home."

The drive to her dorm was quiet and too quick for his taste. Instead of pulling up to the front like last time, he pulled into a parking space and turned off the car. She reached for the door, and Niko locked the door.

"Do you sell yourself often?"

"I don't sell myself--I--It's complicated," she said.

"10k a week," Niko said.

"I'm not a whore," she said.

Niko rubbed the stubble on his face. She had that scornful look again.

"I know, this is just for your company like tonight. 10k a week and all of your expenses paid for. All I want in exchange is for you to be at the apartment when I summon you and to answer all of my calls and texts."

"What apartment?"

"The one I'm going to buy for you."

Snow just stared out of the window.

"It feels weird that you want to pay me," she said.

"All new things are weird at first. Think about it and call me with your answer," Niko said, unlocking the door.