Chapter 2: Devil

NOTES: english in not my first language!! There'll be grammar error and it's not proofreaded. Sorry!!
Enjoy!!

****

That day wasn't one of many spent the same way. Usually Pete would wake up at 7 am, shower and eat his breakfast slowly since the University was close to his dormitory, then go follow the classes and come back at 6 pm to study and then going to bed.

But that day he had other plans. As soon as he got home from University, he had washed up and put on the clothes he had prepared for that occasion. He took a few breaths before grabbing his cigarettes and closing the door behind his back.

He didn't want to call a taxi, but the area he was supposed to go to was impossible to reach by foot. he remembered how lucky he had felt when he found the apartment he lived in. It was cheap and most important, it was far from where he had to go at least two time a month and he really didn't want anyone to know. Not even his best friends.

It was not like he was going to do something illegal but if someone who knew him would have saw him dressed like that in the middle of the night he didn't know what everyone could have said. Yes, he was the University's sweetheart and he preferred things to stay that way.

When he arrived, the pub was already full. The lights on the outside were so strong they made him squint, so without thinking much, he headed inside. A small smile formed on his face when, as soon as he set foot there, he saw a familiar figure. A men much older than him was standing near the counter looking at the crowd.

«Hey!» Pete joined him with a bigger smile now.

When the man saw him, his eyes light up with pure joy. «Oh, you're here! I thought you forgot about me.» He said faking sadness. Pete almost laughed. «How could I.» He answered. «You know I'm busy, but when I can I always come.»

«Yeah, I know. But it's so rare to see you.»

Pete nodded. He knew that he missed him, but he really couldn't go there a lot. If he disappeared for too many nights than his friends would have found out and so the others students. He had just resolved the rumors that were going around about him, he didn't want any new one.

«Oh my God, Pete's here!» When he patted the man on the shoulder, a woman appeared all of the sudden making him smile even more. The barmaid who was now running towards him hugged him from behind the counter. Pete had to lean out a little to keep from getting hurt.

«Lady, it's nice to see you.» He said into her ear still hugging her. But she pushed him away and looked at him seriously. «Well, obviously it's nice, since you never come.» Lady crossed her arms over her chest as if she was angry.

Pete bit his lip guilty. «I'm sorry.» But before he could say something else, the man spoke up. «C'mon old woman leave him alone!»

She got even more angry. «OLD!? Look who's talking.» Her face became red making Pete laugh at the exchange. They always quarreled in front of him. It was funny how probably they liked each other but one was too stubborn to admit it and the other was as if he knew nothing.

«Alright, alright. Don't fight.» He said trying to calm them down.

«Oh, my baby. I missed you so much.» Lady completely ignored everything and went back to talking to him. «How long it's been since the last time you come?»

«Ehm, three weeks, I guess.» He didn't keep track, but always tried to go on alternate days. She gasped. «Too long! Oh, how I wish you could just live here.»

Pete looked down for a second and sighed. «You know I can't.»

«Yes, but a part of me really want you to stay and don't care about anything at all.» Lady stroked his cheek sweetly. He leaned toward her touch. «If it was possible I would already have.» He simply said.