Close

4 years ago

There were many reasons why Zuko was particularly uncomfortable this afternoon. Katara had sequestered them in the darkest corner of the library, the place where the chill fled the day's dying warmth and hardened into something almost tangible on his skin. The chair he had been forced to select was likely designed by someone who had never needed to remain seated for an extended period in their life, all angles and harshness and aching body parts. The exhaustion that hovered just behind his eyes made it difficult to focus on much of anything, let alone the very important Critiques of Modern Humanitarian Aid essay they had due tomorrow that he was supposed to be drafting.

But the bulk of Zuko's irritation could be laid at the feet of the gangly kid who had approached the table and placed himself firmly between Zuko and Katara. The kid whom Zuko had never met or heard of before today. The kid with grey eyes and a close crop of dark hair and the hint of tattoos peeking out from both sleeves. The kid whose name Zuko had forced himself to forget the moment he heard it. The kid who brought the bile to his throat with every shift closer to Katara, every doe-eyed stare aimed her way, every laugh and simper at one of her frankly pathetic attempts at humour. The kid who – the thought made Zuko just about pass out to escape the shame – was officially Zuko's competition.

"I'm just not sure about this part here." The kid pointed to yet another of the inadequate components of his own essay. Zuko watched his eyes dart almost shamelessly from his laptop screen to Katara's face. He tried to take solace in the determination with which she avoided the kid's gaze.

"Okay, well let's have a look, then." Katara was all generosity and sunshine. As usual. "It looks fine to me. You've addressed the question, given examples. Maybe just add another reference at the end?" She glanced at her watch. Two pairs of eyes followed the gesture. "Don't you have a lecture?"

Zuko felt himself relax. Watched the kid stiffen at Katara's dismissal. Assigned the smallest amount of effort possible to the task of hiding his smirk.

"Uh, yeah." The kid made absolutely no attempt to remove himself from their presence. "But it's just stuff from the textbook, anyway. I can probably skip it."

Zuko swallowed the latest wave of bile. Had to shove his hands into his pockets to avoid slapping a palm to his forehead in exasperation.

"The essay's not due 'til tomorrow, it can wait." Katara gently lowered the lid of the kid's laptop. "You can't skip your lecture."

Zuko tried to suppress the elation he felt at the kid's noticeably sinking shoulders.

"Yeah, you're probably right."

"I know I'm right." Katara flashed him one of her more dazzling smiles. "I'll see you later, Aang. Good work today." As if he were a child in need of positively reinforcing feedback. A gold star in his workbook. A lolly from the jar.

"Thanks, Katara. You're the best." He did not look at Zuko as he said goodbye, swung his backpack over one shoulder, disappeared around a bookshelf.

Katara heaved a sigh. Leaned toward Zuko with an elbow on the table and her chin in her hand. "Hey." The smile she gave him was lazy.

"Hey." The smile he gave her was entirely instinctual.

"Sorry about that." A quick roll of her eyes. "I didn't think he'd need so much... assistance."

He didn't know how to articulate the magma burning a hole in his stomach. Her gaze flitted across his face.

"You don't need any assistance, do you?" A teasing quirk at the corner of her mouth.

"Not here, ma'am. This essay's positively writing itself."

"And I'm sure the wordcount will agree with you, if I just have a teeny little look–"