2 : Mission dangerously possible

"There's too many of them! We can't take them all! We need to get inside now!"

Thea urged us and quickly we ran to safety. I bolted towards Jelo's house, which was the closest to where we were, and the two of them followed my lead while, for some reason, screaming at me as they locked the gate and door behind us.

"Seriously?! Here?! You run here of all places?!" He shouted.

I plopped down on the living room floor to catch my breath and stared at the ceiling for a few seconds all while still tightly holding onto this rusty frying pan!

My brain was still in the process of taking in everything that was going on. Our school trip got cut short because of a virus that was spreading throughout the country that, oh yeah, SOMEHOW TURNS PEOPLE INTO ZOMBIE-LIKE THINGS AND I WAS ABOUT TO DEFEND MYSELF AGAINST THEM WITH A FRYING PAN! A FRYING PAN OF ALL THINGS! AND OUR SWEET UNCLE WHO USED TO MAKE WOODEN SWORDS, SWINGS, AND SLIDES WAS BENT ON EATING THEA'S LEG A FEW SECONDS AGO!

Also, my mom was missing. I think the whole town was except for those who were infected like Uncle Paris. Wait... Could my mother have been among those outside who were infected?! No! Now is not the time to think like that Lanz! Get it together!

Thea pushed the curtain aside to look out the window, "What were we thinking, running here for safety? The gate and the door aren't going to hold!"

That's when I realized what a huge mistake I just made. She was right! What were we thinking?! Well, mostly me, since these two just ran after me since I was the first to run. The gate to the house was old and rusty, it was changed a few years before Jelo's grandparents moved in, which was probably over fifty years ago!

Assuming all the infected had the same strength Uncle Paris had earlier when he wanted to eat Thea's foot like a Shish kebab, their brute force alone could probably knock the whole thing down including the fences!

The door's durability was the same as the gate. You know what, scratch that, it's probably in even worse shape than the fifty-year-old gate! How am I sure about that? Well, that's because we accidentally took it off its hinges when we rammed into it while playing basketball. It was a few days ago, the guys were teaching me how to play since the school's sports fest was coming up and I was chosen to be a player for the team I was on, despite the numerous times I told our head teacher that I had no experience let alone interest in playing basketball! Jelo threw the ball while DJ, me, and another friend of ours tried to catch it and ended up slamming onto each other and falling to our backs on the door!

Luckily for us, Jelo's parents weren't home because they were on a trip. Jelo had won a free cruise trip to the Caribbean at the mall a month ago and decided to give it to his parents as a gift for their anniversary. But of course, the truth always comes out. We weren't trying to hide it or lie about it though, we wanted to tell our parents what happened, right after we fix the door or pay for the repairs. But things didn't go the way we planned it, no thanks to DJ. He accidentally blurted it out in front of my mother, who called their mothers and we got scolded by them for a while. We ended up fixing the door temporarily and then contributed to the repairs using our savings, it was scheduled for tomorrow. And that is why I am sure that the door won't hold!

Then, as if an alarm had rung, I sat upright as I realized I had forgotten about something, or rather, someone!

"DJ!"

The both of them looked at me all confused about my sudden outburst or what DJ had anything to do about the current situation. They looked at each other as if I had spoken in some foreign language or had lost my marbles.

"What about him?" Jelo asked.

"Earlier, he called me and probably was trying to tell me about the Inmourtis before everything had spiraled! But I couldn't understand what he was talking about, his signal was so bad! I thought he was talking about bees. Which didn't make sense at the time, he must have been saying zombies. He's still at school, many people are, we have to go back!"