Let's Be Friends

"Hello, my name is Nina. I live just down the road a couple of minutes from here and I wanted to introduce myself." I forced a bright smile on my face.

The girl had just her head peeking over the open door. I could see her face much more clearly. I could see she was of Asian descent. She had very faint freckles splattered all over her face which you couldn't see from afar. Her skin was pale. Her hair, a dark brown color, framed her face like how curtains framed a window. The girl's features captured me the most. Her lips were small, but plump at the same time. Her nose was a classic button nose that would make all the girls at my school envious that they spent ten grand for theirs, while this girl had hers for free. For even someone of my age, she had quite a baby face. Her eyes were the most intriguing to me. They were small and beady, reminding me of a mouse.

"Hello," was all she said. Her voice was surprisingly deep for her appearance.

There was a pause of uncomfortable silence. I cleared my voice and spoke of my intentions with her.

"You just moved in right?" She nodded her head, "Do you want to hang out?" The girl hesitated. Her fingers tightened their grip on the door. After a few more seconds of silence, I pressed on.

"Well?"

The girl took in a deep breath and then nodded her head. I smiled brightly at her. My unease disappeared as a new feeling tugged at my heart. I willed myself to stand still and not act irrationally.

"Great! I can't wait to see your house- "I stepped forward.

"No." The girl finally looked at me, her voice urgent. There was a hard look in her mousy eyes.

I paused and stared at her confused, "No?"

"You can't go inside my house. It's too messy."

"That doesn't bother me. In fact, my room- "

"I said no." I was interrupted once again. Annoyance flared in me.

"Well, what about my house?" I negotiated.

The girl looked at me then nodded.

"So, what's your name?" The girl and I walked down the gravel road that led to my house. I walked beside her with my bike in tow. A gentle, continuous breeze moved our hair back and ruffled our clothes.

"Esther," she said.

"That's a pretty name."

Esther hummed in response.

Silence surrounded us for a brief moment.

"My dad says that these woods are haunted. That they're great at keeping secrets and, therefore, filled with them. He says that only people with secrets to hide live here. Do you agree?" I asked. The mood darkened around us. I looked toward Esther when I was only answered with silence. She was looking at me with her mouth slightly open.

"Well, do you?" I coaxed.

"I can't say that I do. I have only been here for a few weeks, and I haven't gotten the chance to explore much."

"Is it because your dad doesn't let you?" The question left my mouth before I could stop myself. My stomach bubbled with unease. Esther stopped walking. I stopped as well. A bad feeling went through me, and I felt as though I went over the line and opened my mouth to apologize.

"Look, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

"Whatever." Esther walked past me, not looking behind to see if I was following her. I looked at her back, stunned by her response. She continued to walk confidently as if she knew where my house was and didn't need my guidance. I trailed behind her guiding my bike along beside me.

The trees began to become fewer and fewer until they disappeared completely, revealing a large field of perfectly cut grass surrounded by the woods. Right in the middle of that field was a massive white mansion. The gravel road turned to paved concrete that led to the massive building and wrapped around in a circle in front of the large house. A fountain was placed in the middle of that circle of concrete and spouted water continuously. The windows on the mansion were countless. Perfectly sculpted shrubs were placed throughout the yard. Vines crawled up one side of the mansion enhancing the beauty even more – giving it that naturistic vibe that my dad so loved.

I gauged Esther's reaction to my house. As usual, she was stunned. I always loved having new friends over to my house just to see their reactions. The first few seconds of them seeing where I lived always reminded me of a kid getting their first double scoop of ice cream in a cone. Their eyes widen (almost to the point that they pop out of their skull), a quiet gasp leaving from between their lips as their mouth forms an "o", and then finally seeing the emotions that run through their eyes: First, it's shock, then amazement, then jealousy in girls and admiration in boys.

But Esther was different. Yes, I saw surprise and amazement in her eyes, but then I saw a brief flash of sadness instead of the usual jealousy that all my other girl friends had. I felt something heavy in my chest.

"Your house – I...Wow," Esther couldn't even form a proper sentence. She was that stunned. Usually, I would have stood taller and held my head high as my ego was stroked, but I was still reeling from that heaviness in my chest. That turned my mood even sourer – I hated when I couldn't feel my best. And this stupid bike that I was still dragging along with me started to annoy me even more. I wanted to yell out in frustration.

"Thanks," I murmured. I lead Esther towards the front door. I caught Esther out of the corner of my eye gaping at the fountain as we passed it. I think it was safe to say that our previous "argument" was forgotten. I opened the - what seemed like - 500-pound antique door and called out for my butler, staying at the front door.

"Yes, Miss Nina?" The short, chubby man in a suit named Francis came running down the stairs. His shined shoes clacking against the marble flooring. As Francis got near, I handed him my bike and said, "Can you take this to the garage for me Francis? I won't need it again for today." Francis nodded and took my bike, he curtly greeted Esther as he stepped outside and walked away.

"You have a butler? I thought that was something only out of movies." Esther laughed breathily. I could tell she was feeling nervous. She was fumbling with the sleeves of her too-large sweater that honestly looked like her father's. The sleeves covered her hands. I noticed that she had soft, delicate hands. I looked down at mine. She had better-looking hands than I did.

"Well, let's go inside. I want to show you my room." I said.