Chapter 29

After Nik and Jane finish their conversation, Jane decides she should probably pack everything back into her suitcase due to her upcoming relocation. Nik stays back for a moment. He has some thinking to do. 

As soon as Jane makes it to the mammoth modern master bedroom. She heads for the master bathroom. She isn't sure if she should shower and get ready for the day now before she is packed, or if she should wait until she is in her future living quarters to shower. She doesn't even know the timeline that Nik has in mind for all of this. Is she going to be leaving immediately? 

---------

Nik stands up from the library sofa and dials some numbers to set up a few last surprises before he is no longer able to spend time with Jane. Once he finishes making his calls, he heads up to his bedroom to find Jane. When he reaches her, she is still in the bathroom trying to decide if she should shower or just pack. 

"What's going on in that beautiful brain, Jane?" Nik approaches her, stopping just a few inches before her. She looks up at him with uncertainty dimming her irises that are typically bright with excitement and wonder. 

"Am I leaving now? Or do I have a little more time with you?" Jane bites her lower lip as soon as she finishes her statement because as the thought of leaving him crosses her mind again her eyes well up with tears. She is one more word away from breaking down on the floor of this stupid gorgeous bathroom. 

"Not yet Jane. I have some surprises. I want to make our last full day together exciting and fun. I want you to forget about all this horrible blackmail shit for just one more day." He pauses his thoughts to reach out to her. He grasps her shoulders and pulls her into a tight squeeze, "Do you want to take a shower together? or would you like some alone time?"

"We can shower together. It's better for the environment anyway," Jane says jokingly. There's that witty humor he loves so much. If today is the last day he has with her, he wants to make it count. 

---------

They finish their shower and then pack all of Jane's belongings. She attempts to lug the heavy suitcase over to the bed but Nik swiftly steals it from her and expertly carries it to the bed as if the damn thing was weightless. Jane huffs but gets over it quickly. She can manage on her own, but it is nice to have some help every once in a while. 

Jane glances at the clock on the nightstand and realizes just how late it is already. So much for spending their last day together. It's already almost two in the afternoon. But before she has time to get upset, Nik whisks her away, out of the room, down the stairs, and off to some unknown part of the house, having her close her eyes to increase the air of mystery surrounding his actions. 

When he pulls her into a room, she uncovers her eyes. They are in the home theater. Nik pulls her over to the reclining red leather couch that sits directly before the screen. Jane sits down while Nik messes around with the projector getting the film set up. Once it's rolling, he takes his place beside Jane, wrapping an arm around her shoulders, pulling her in to his side. Jane snuggles against him as 'A Walk To Remember' flashes across the title screen. 

"A sad romance movie? Are you trying to make me cry today?" Jane loves this movie, but she worries the ending might be too much for her right now.