Chapter Four

I rush after my mom as she runs to the little building two streets down from our house where the affected are. We rush inside and put gloves and mouth coverings on to protect us. When I walk into the room, I see twelve people lying on small beds. They were all coughing, sweating, bleeding, throwing up, and sneezing.

“Jolene, we have an epidemic on our hands. We need strong medicine from the big City. You must go to Lion City to get the strong medicine.”

“Mom, I can’t do that! They will send me right back, or something bad could happen. What if they kill me with a straw and a balloon? What about a spoon?” I laugh on   the inside at my choice of weapons. But I can see that mom is not in a laughing mood.

“Jolene, don’t be silly. You must go. We need to help our people.”

“I will go with her.”

My body freezes as I hear his voice. The last thing I want is for him to come with me. I slowly turn towards him and I give him a fake smile.

“There is no need for your unwanted assistance. I can go by myself. Mother, I will get the medicine.”

“Nash, that’s a great idea! Jolene, you will take Nash with you.”

I stare at my mom in disbelief. She knows how much I dislike Nash. I turn to glare at Nash and as I do, I see him take a gulp of air and he looks nervous. I wonder why he seems nervous. Wait, no I don’t! I turn to face my mother again and she gives me the “do not argue with me” look. I sigh heavily.

“Ok, fine, I will take the tra… I mean Nash with me. We will leave in the morning.”

I rush out of the room and to my favorite spot in our desert backyard. I really don’t want him along but what can I do? I gaze across the dirty, wasted land. Moose Village used to be beautiful before the war. There used to be flowers of all colors and sizes. We had so many bugs, insects, and wild creatures. Now all we have is sand, dust and piles of dead wood. At least we have the forest on the West side of the village. It is the only way to the other villages, towns, and city.

When I am done sulking, I walk into the house and pack my back pack. I put water canteens in there along with food, extra pair of clothing, money, knife, first aid kit, rope, candles, matches, oil for my lamp, and my favorite book. I then decide to be nice and I pack a bag for Nash. It will be a long journey to the big city, so we need lots of stuff. I set the packs by the door and walk up to my room. I look at the little picture frame of my family. I am doing this for them. I will survive.

I go back outside and say goodbye to my brothers and sisters along with my parents. Nash and I will be getting up very early, so goodbyes wouldn’t work then. I smile at my siblings and frown when all the girls and some guys say their goodbyes to Nash. They really have fallen in love with him; not the loving dopey stuff, but the friend kind of love. I glare at the stranger who ruined my life. I should have shot him while I had a chance. But that isn’t right Jolene. We must love one another. Jesus would not have killed Nash. Jesus would have loved Nash. I felt ashamed after my little talk with myself. I still don’t like him, but I don’t hate him anymore. Nash and I walk upstairs to my room. I grab my clothes and walk to the bathroom to change. As soon as I’m done, I go back to my room and lay down on the floor. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

I wake up before dawn the next day. I yawn and stretch my limbs as I remember what I have to do and who I have to do it with. I hit Nash with my pillow and he jerks and falls off the bed. I stifle a laugh as he peeks over the side of the bed and glares at me.

“Oops! Time to get up” I whisper as I jump up and tiptoe down the stairs to make breakfast. When we are finished eating and getting dressed, we grab our packs and head out the door. I quietly run to the hollow tree to grab my bow and arrows. I turn around and look at my house. I won’t be seeing my house for a while.  I smile, turn back around and head for the woods, with Nash trailing after me.