Chapter 4: Brothers Reunited

Date: 18th Kreith 22228KU

Lyrino only pushed on due to the guard forcing her. They were soon to be out of Carlot which meant out of the freezing hell and this eternal blizzard but this meant they had to go back the way they came. Back to Tallgrast. Back to Mumbrell. The cowardly guard sheltered Lyrino from the storm as well as Kincy who mopped around beside the two.

The pair half blindly stumbled through the snow which forced them back at every possible opportunity. It was the early morning so the sun still hadn't risen on the moon and melted away the snow although the clouds would ensure it wouldn't anyway. They had no road to follow as it was covered by heavy thick blankets of snow, they were merely following signs which weren't destroyed.

Lyrino stumbled into the snow. Her knees didn't go anywhere near the actual solid ground. Kincy turned to her master and began nuzzling up to her. Softly chirping in her ear, encouraging her to push on. The cowardly guard grabbed her by her shoulder and tried to get her out of the snow.

"Come on, you can't die here" he told her as he tried to hoist her up out of the snow. She tried to follow to get up but her legs were too weak so she just fell painfully back into the frost. She whined in pain causing both her protector and pet to grow concern for her.

The guard looked around knowing she would die if they stayed where they were. His head turned from side to side desperately looking for a place to stay the night. As he looked into the trees, he squinted his eyes to make out a cave carved into the side of a small hill. It seemed deep enough so they could hide away from the storm and just enough to shield her from the elements.

He turned his attention back to her "come on. Come on. There's a cave" he told her. He tired weary eyes looked at him. Hope glimmered. She they tried to get to her feet with the help of the cowardly guard. Kincy followed the pair as they slowly but surely made there way into the cave.

As they entered she collapsed onto the rocky floor with her Tallgrast jackel running toward her side and jumping onto her. She tried to stay up but fell again. The cowardly guard looked around, he saw sticks poking out of the snow. An idea sprung into his head. He hurried to Lyrino to lift her up against the rock wall, Kincy nuzzled into her master. "Stay here" he told Halk and she did as she was told, her eyes closing just to try and get a little rest.

He braved the winds and snow to get some of the sticks he saw just barely visible from the surface. He gathered a good few sticks and then hurried back to Lyrino who appeared half asleep.

He sat the sticks down into an unorganised pile then pulled out a lighter he had stashed in his armour. He took the red flame to the pile of wood and watched as a large flame was created between the two humans. The cowardly guard then sat back against opposite to the girl and her jackel.

"Guards keep lighters on them?" She questioned the man in a cold raspy voice, a far cry from the soft tone she spoke to him with many days prior.

"No. Finch said I can use it. But now I'm keeping it" he told her the girl as he admired the silver lighter in his hand, a similar colour to his armour.

"You smoke?" She further inquired the guard.

"I was. But then the house blew up".

"You stashed that in your armour. But not a gun" immediately he went in the defensive.

"I would've but my belt was lost in the explosion which held my gun. I kept the lighter in my armour as I thought we might need it for a fire. But lighting a fire in the middle of a blizzard isn't particularly practical. Wouldn't you agree?" Lyrino looked at the man with exhausted eyes, she tried to give her the best smile she could in her state.