Chapter One

(Jean POV)

The warm afternoon sun spilled onto the concrete, heating the atmosphere and shining down on Jean. It was warm-a little too warm for his comfort-but right now, he couldn't care less. Right now, Jean Kirstein was the happiest boy in the world!

He beamed, perhaps even brighter than the sun, as he strolled down the sidewalk. He cheerfully kicked a pebble down the sidewalk as he walked, his backpack slapping his back with every step. Jean's dopey smile only grew as he recalled today's events...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(Roughly an hour ago)

"...Would you stop following me?"

Jean snapped out of his trance as he locked eyes with her. That girl...she wasn't just any other girl. She was Mikasa Ackerman.

"Oh, ah...well, that's....yeah," Jean stammered, scratching the back of his neck as his body heat rose out of anxiety.

Mikasa stared at him a little longer before she continued walking. Jean hesitated, standing still as he watched her, before finally picking up his feet and walking again.

"Hey. I thought I told you to stop following me," Mikasa snapped suddenly, her tone much more stern.

"I-I'm not following you!" Jean exclaimed, waving his hands in the air as the blood pooled in his cheeks. "It's just that...uh...I have something to ask you!" He explained quickly.

"Hm. I bet I can guess what it is you have to ask me." Mikasa stuck her hand in the pocket of her hoodie, digging around and pulling out an abundance of sticky notes. She plucked one out of the pile and held it out to Jean.

Eagerly, Jean swiped the letter from her fingers and gazed down at it. It read: 'Please let me take you on a date! You make my heart soar. -Jean'. Jean blinked confusedly.

"You've been leaving notes like this in my locker since the beginning of the school year," Mikasa huffed. "And now you're following me home just so you can repeat it?"

"Well, you didn't answer me..." Jean retorted.

"Yeah, I didn't. Take a hint." Mikasa, with one flip of her silky black hair, had begun walking again.

"Wait, don't go!" Jean called after her. Irritated, she stopped, turning around and scowling at him.

"At least, let me have your phone number," Jean pressed.

"...If I do, will you leave me alone?" Mikasa muttered, folding her arms at him. The boy nodded vigorously in reply.

Heaving a sigh, Mikasa took Jean's phone and entered her number into it.

­

­­- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

He seriously couldn't believe it! He'd got the prettiest girl in the school's phone number! And, not only was she pretty, but she was the best athlete in school. He sighed in joy as he continued walking, feeling incredibly light.

However...he knew this ecstasy couldn't last forever. Jean then remembered that Mikasa's brother just happened to be his least favorite person on earth-Eren Jaeger. He sighed in dismay. Eren was Mikasa's closest friend-it was almost creepy how close they were. And they weren't even biologically related, so the idea of them becoming an item wouldn't be too strange. Jean covered his head with his hands, irritated. Getting close to Mikasa would probably be impossible with Eren in the way!