Blue lightning

It was supposed to be a special day.

Her best friend's special day.

But after today, Jade Connery got something that was far from special. It was a gift. Or rather, a curse?

The family Valdez was well known in their little village. Each family member had a magical blessing which they used for helping the old town. Mrs. Valdez could control the fire, Mr. Valdez could summon water out of thin air.

 And then there was Célia. 

Her and Jade's friendship was on of those where you didn't know where they had come from. It just suddenly appeared and the two had been inseperable ever since. 

Mr. Connery, Jade's father, was a... difficult man. He was impatient and got angry easily, especially after he had lost his wive to suicide. Nobody had seen it coming. But one day he had suddenly found his hysterically crying daughter cradling the bleeding body of the woman he loved. 

Even after the court had confirmed the circumstances of Vivien Connery's mental condition being the cause of her actions, he was truly convinced that his only daughter had murdered her mother. 

His mindset turned into something no therapist could cure and he was later sentenced to almost two years of jail for child abuse. 

Jade spent most of her time at the Valdez's house, even after her father had returned with a new girlfriend. 

She would elegantly hide the marks on her back and even if a new bruise appeared on her body, she would say she'd fallen or bumped into something. 

Even after the things she has been through, Jade never failed to smile for her friends. Today was one of those days.

Célia hadn't received her blessing yet, but that should change after today. Each of the Valdez members would get their gift on their 15th. birthday, at a big ceremony with the guests arriving from the whole village. 

The young woman was thrilled and couldn't stop talking about all the wonders she would achieve with her power. She and Jade had been guessing for months about what gift she would earn. Maybe flying through the sky like the birds she admired so much? Or even bending an element like her parents did.

No one thought of what would happen this evening.

Everything was perfect. The family was ready, the guests were excited and Célia couldn't wait for the ceremony to start.

 Jade was with her in the nursery, helping her with the light-blue dress she was going to wear at the ritual. She was constantly hurrying in circles, checking her reflection in the mirror as if something might suddenly appear on her tanned, flawless skin. 

"Célia calm down, you're getting creases into your dress.",Jade chuckled with a light smile on her lips. She was leaning herself against the door frame and calmly watched her friend panicking.

 "You look gorgeous and today everything will about you. This is going to be the best day of your life."

Célia stopped walking and just stared at herself, a worried crease appearing between her dark eyebrows. "Well, what if I stumble on my way down? I could never show myself around town!", she wimpered anxiously.

Jade stood beside her and reasuringly hugged her shoulders. "Listen. Today will be great. You will get your gift and it will be the coolest thing ever. You're gonna help so many people and they will love you, they already do. Thing always turn out your way, remember? It's gonna be all right.", she grinned proudly. 

Célia smiled softly at her best friend. She opened her mouth to say something, when her older brother Sebastian suddenly bursted in like a tornado and destroyed the calming atmosphere.