Chapter 5: Demon's Friend Comes For A Visit

It was the next day, being a Saturday, and Ayanokouji was wondering how Mahiru had taken his words.
He wasn't sure if he had made a mistake or not in saying those words to her as it could affect the distance between them in their unusual relationship.
Right now Ayanokouji let his friend, Itsuki, into his house as he had come over to play on Ayanokouji's new console.
Although he thinks that he was able to finally convince his handsome, apathetic friend into buying one, it was actually just Matsuo, who had ordered it without Ayanokouji knowing till last minute.
"Still as depressing as ever I see."
"I still don't get it." The only 2 people who had ever visited Ayanokouji's house as guests were Mahiru and Itsuki.
But what Ayanokouji couldn't understand was how they think it's depressing. Even though Mahiru only mentioned it once, he could tell by her expression when she first came into his house.
"Think about it Kiyo, I mean there's basically no difference since I last came, except for the games you bought."
Ayanokouji sighed as he wasn't going to lie, Itsuki was right. But there wasn't anything that really interested him at the moment.
But it seems Itsuki has come to the rescue. "But fear not, as I have brought you a housewarming gift."
As Itsuki said this, he slapped what seems to be a catalogue onto Ayanokouji's chest and started walking towards the games around the tv and still inside an open package.
"A catalogue huh." Ayanokouji muttered as he flipped through the pages.
This wasn't a regular catalogue where one would buy modern day furniture, but one that would see to make your house more on the gaming and anime side.
One example would be a sword from a video game that would act as a coat hanger.
Not what I had imagined... Ayanokouji wouldn't lie, these are a bit weird. But then again he shouldn't be surprised when it comes to Itsuki.
"WHAT THE HELL?!" Being brought out of his thoughts, Ayanokouji heard a shocked yell from Itsuki.
"Is something wrong?" Ayanokouji asked, while approaching Itsuki and glancing over his shoulder.
"Is something wrong he asks? Man Kiyotaka, I know I told you to buy a gaming console with a few games, but there was no need to buy the entire store." Itsuki said as he went back to taking out a bunch of games from a box.
"Some are old games you can't find anymore, while others are fairly new releases. And these! They're not even out yet!" Itsuki shouts as he waves a few games at Ayanokouji's face.
"Once again, I don't see the problem."
"Kiyotaka, adding all these up, they would cost around ¥40-50,000 yen."
"Really, all I asked was my guardian to buy me some and he did so."
"... Yeah I thought so, I mean no offence, but your not the type to splash most, if not all, of your allowance on just games alone." Itsuki had a point.
"Anyway, why don't you pick a game and set it up, while I go get us some snacks." Ayanokouji said.
"Sure."
Ayanokouji then made his way towards the kitchen cupboards and took a few crisp packets out before dumping them into a big bowl which he obviously cleaned.
He then went to his refrigerator and got out 2 nacho cheese dips. He also got some ice cream out and scooped them into two mini bowls and put some chocolate sauce over them with a few sprinkles.
Placing all these items on a tray, he picked it up and took it to the living room and set it down.
"I noticed you got ice cream out again huh?" Itsuki said making a slight wryly face and gave a nervous chuckle.
"If you don't want it, I can have it."
"It's not that, it's just you really love ice cream, don't you?"
"I mean it's the same thing as asking; you really love Chitose, don't you?"
"Ha-Ha-Ha! Touché, I guess you got me there, but there's still a difference you know."
"Please do go on." Ayanokouji encourages Itsuki to continue.
"I mean too much ice cream is bad for your health, unlike Chi who—"
"Helps you lose brain cells every time your with her?" Ayanokouji says, cutting off Itsuki.
"A-ah, now even though that may be true, I still love Chi."
"Hai Hai, I understand."
"Ha-Ha! Anyways, speaking of Chi, if I showed her just 5 or 6 of these games you got here, she'd probably be coming over with me to your house everyday!"
"You better not, she's already tiring to deal with in school." Ayanokouji states while sighing exasperatingly.
"Come on man, I promise you it won't be that bad." Itsuki said as he slapped Ayanokouji's back.
Ayanokouji could've sworn he felt his eyebrow twitch just the slightest. "Your not actually considering it are you, if you want you can borrow any game you want."
"You got a deal." Itsuki said as he put his hand out for a handshake.
However, he soon got uncomfortable under his best friend's gaze and nervously scratched the back of his neck.
"If this was what you were after, no need to try and trick me. If you know me, you'd know I won't play every game in the box."
"Thanks Kiyotaka!" Itsuki said smiling brightly.
"Anyway, switching subjects," Ayanokouji said as they both started playing on the TV. "How's everything between the parents and Chitose."
"Ah, yeah I'm still ignoring my dad's complaints against Chi."
"Your mum?"
"She's still as cold as ever towards me."
"Sorry to hear that."
"What about you, I know both your parents are dead, but what were they like?" Itsuki asked curiously about Ayanokouji's family.
"Well I never met my mother really and my father was just a strict person." Ayanokouji decided to say what is technically the truth.
"Wow, we'll I guess I should be lucky with my parents. I'm sorry though."
"It's not a big deal, really."
"Same thing as usual, being the guy who never really cares or cherishes things."
"While that may be true, I do cherish some things." For example, Ayanokouji cherishes this freedom and peace he has finally gained. "Plus, you have your own problems to deal with rather than focusing on me."
"Ha-Ha! It's Chi, man, what else can I do?"
To be honest, Ayanokouji really envies Itsuki as he knows what emotions he feels and what they're like, and that they're strong enough to even go against what his parents say.
"I'll mess up anybody who interferes with me and Chi!" Itsuki shouted while jumping up and doing a pose on the sofa.
While Ayanokouji looked at Itsuki's face and could still see the usual carefree expression on their full of life, his eyes shows he meant every word that had just come out of his mouth.
"While I admire, your determination, your killing us." Ayanokouji said while sighing and faces back at the TV.
"Huh! Oh no!" Itsuki said while sitting back down and trying to take cover in the game to avoid more damage.
After around 10 minutes of intense focus on the game and having no words being said to each other, the both of them had heard the doorbell ring twice.
Pausing the game, Ayanokouji glanced at the time displayed on his clock and realised who it was.
"Hmm? A visitor?" Itsuki asked.
"It's probably my neighbour, I'll go check it out."
"Ah, gotcha."
"Just don't unpause the game." Ayanokouji says and starts walking towards the front door.
"No promises."
Making his way over to the door and hearing the doorbell ring once again, he sighs and slips on his shoes. Once he's done, he opens it and steps out of the apartment and immediately closes the door behind him.
Ayanokouji looks up after closing the door to see Mahiru blinking in surprise of his weird behaviour. Even though she knows he's already weird, this was different.
"...Sorry about that, it's just that I have a friend from school over at the moment." Ayanokouji says explaining.
"Ah, okay." Mahiru obviously understood Ayanokouji's unsaid reason for wanting to keep their relationship a secret as they'd both not like to draw any misunderstandings right now.
Passing Ayanokouji the food container, he noticed their was oden, a stew, inside it which he knows is the most appropriate and ideal choice due to the current winter season Japan is in right now.
"Thanks a lot, but to think you've been making this since morning time." Ayanokouji says, expressing his gratitude.
"It's not really a big deal, I was going to make it either way, whether or not you want it."
"I can still recognise your coldness even within this weather."
"I'm just being blunt is all." Mahiru says with a slight pout. "Anyway, you should be going back inside now, your friend will begin to ask where you are."
"True. By the way, I know this is a mutual agreement between us, but I won't mention your name when I go back inside."
"I'm glad to know that."
As Ayanokouji goes back inside his apartment and walks towards the kitchen to put the food away, he was glad to know that there was nothing wrong with Mahiru.
He was glad to see she wasn't trying to put up some kind of front with him or trying desperately not to think about his words to her.
She was as normal as she has always been with him. Every time the two of them conversed with each other they'd grow closer little by little, but judging the way she talked and looked at him, the progress had this time tripled.
While it may not be noticeable, Ayanokouji would soon be able to break through that shell of her's in no time.
"Who was it?" Itsuki asked.
"My neighbor. She gave me some of her dinner that I put in the fridge." Ayanokouji replied as he went back to sit down on the sofa. "I'll unpause the game."
"Ah, sorry, I already beat the boss."
"Why am I not surprised?"

1696 Words.

Another chapter done.

I hope you guys have been enjoying so far this fic so far!

Bye!~