Chapter 1: If I wanted to be normal I'd work in a cake shop

This was it. I was 29 years old and had been working at shitty corporate jobs for 10 of those years. I had started working at Universal Music London last year at a data entry job but I was sick of it! Look, it was a cool place, people were chill and the job was easy- all I had to do was come in- sit at my laptop and "enter data". Not to bore you too much but artists would get signed up and it was up to me to grab their files and input them and their whole team's details into our frankly antiquated system.

And I could work from home! What more could I want?! But I was bored! I was born and bred in Hackney, East London. I had done well and managed to buy myself a tiny flat in Clapham- it was messy and cluttered with my many pop culture items but it was home!

I was used to running around the city, I had so many jobs before this one, a personal shopper, a PA, even an office manager so this whole sitting and typing was just frustrating to me. But it was in the music industry- the dream! I was music crazy everything from ABBA to Zeppelin and in between, music was my drug!

So i'm sitting at my laptop taking a lil break from typing names and monotonous details and an email comes in:

"INTERNAL JOB ALERT"

Personal Assistant needed to tour with a busy and energetic Universal Music based act.....

Now THIS is what I'm talking about! I click into the requirements:

-Must have at least 4 years P.A experience

-Must have at least 6 months of experience working at a label

-Must be lively, energetic and willing to work hard and play hard

- Must have a passion for all things music

Fuck me- this was too good to be true. I sit there swinging back and forth on my chair. Ok, I was only in this current job a year, would it look really bad if I moved now? Then again, you only lose when you don't try..... And I mean surely it'll all be confidential anyway so if it doesn't work out, no loss! My heart starts beating as it always does when I make big life decisions.... I mean should I mention it to my boss? Charlie was cool but I didn't wanna make them feel bad by leaving their team so soon!

As if by some weird fate I'm snapped out of my daydreaming by Charlie, who strolls in with two Starbucks cups in hand- an iced mocha for them and an Acai Refresher for me- fuck me I love this person! "Hey Alyssa, what's up?" they enquirie while pressing the cold drink into my hand. "Ahh thank you so much, you always know what I need" I reply while taking a sip. "Not much, just workin away ya know, down the mines haha".

Charlie raises an eyebrow- so you haven't seen the advertisement for the PA job? You'd be perfect for it!

My heart started beating again " Wait, what? Are you joking with me? How did you-?".

"Alyssa, cmon- you're an amazing addition to our team and I would hate to lose you but everyone knows where your talents and more importantly, where your heart lies"

I stare at them, anxiety in the pit of my stomach "what have you got to lose?" they probe.

What indeed?!

"Ok........I start "can you tell me who the band/ artist is?"

"Yungblud"

"Oh"- My heart sinks- Ok, I had heard the name.... But like this was Gen Z territory, I was hoping for more Guns N Roses or if I got really lucky- Queen, not some random young... what even was he- a rapper??

Then again this could be my ticket to bigger and better things - not everyone starts at the top, I had learned that early on in life.....I run my fingers through my pink shag mullet hair...

"Ok who do I give my name to?"