13:1-13

From the depths of dark solitude. From

The eternal abode in my holiness,

Hidden set apart in my stern counsels

Reserv'd for the days of futurity,

I have sought for a joy without pain,

For a solid without fluctuation

Why will you die O Eternals?

Why live in unquenchable burnings?

'I Need, more power.'

"You know, you don't have to sulk all the time." Twitch.

"The correct phrase is brooding, and it is not something I do, I merely have nothing to say to you."

She pouted profusely at my reply, "Why are you such a mean boy? Even after a good rest and some of Mother's pie, you still act like you haven't experienced anything good in life." I began to zone her out, the cold winds of the outside world staved off by the blue jacket I wore, if only barely. I needed something that more fit my pallet.

"Honestly, Mother even let you through to the outside world!"

"Not that she would be able to stop me anyways- Stop that!" The girl hadn't got a clue yet, her mindless tampering would do her no service. She was messing with my hair, driving her knuckles in roughly, a sin I wouldn't have allowed any other that wasn't a selectively immaterial ghost.

Pushing her away, I readjusted my hair and slicked it back, "Perhaps I should've left as soon as I had the chance, now you think I'm soft... A mistake I assure you." That woman... Toriel. She caught me off guard with her kindness, her altruism. I couldn't resist, but now that the chilling cold of ice seeped back into my heart... I felt weak no more.

I need no one, I shall do all things alone.

Not that Chara cared.

"Maybe I just enjoy annoying you? What else am I able to do? It's your damned fault for falling on me anyways, idiot." She was remarkably devious for someone my age, the pure hatred I'd seen from her eyes earlier... It spoke of a hidden deception from her.

Our surroundings seemed to consist entirely of a snowy winterland, the temperature so ice cold that even my demon blood couldn't completely stave it off. But... It was more disturbing to me than the ruins, I was used to the harsh climates of the world above, I had seen many treacherous landscapes in my travels. But such a reflection of my inner mindscape... the cold dowry weather felt like a nightmare.

*Snap*

The sound of my boots cracking a branch in half was loud, with the sound of the world muted by the snow, a presence appeared at the back of my mind. I pretended not to sense the being that had been following us, knowing that to reveal myself so early, would be suicide. Chara was not on board however, "Hey, you see that shadow right? It's been following us for the last minute or two..." She spoke quietly for once, the fear finally quelling her irreverent behavior. I furrowed my brow, wishing she would be silent.

I opened my mouth to speak, "Silent is the prey who hides away from his predator, his blood ice cold, hands shaking, the chilling release of death ever close..." I said, stopping in my tracks and staring directly ahead, the crinkling of snow behind me nearly drew my hand.

"A poet huh... Wouldn't you be a pal, and turn around? To greet a friend?" The demon was trying to intimidate, that much was obvious, it was clearly adept at masking its presence and power. But I was no coward.