Chapter 4

Peter swung to the apartment quickly but waited for the detectives to enter. They went to your apartment first and found the notebook missing. Peter knew the exact box you were talking about and found it easily but was disappointed the notebook was not inside. He talked with Detective Lewis and the two made their way across the hall to investigate your neighbor. Detective Lewis knocked on the door and after having no answer, kicked it in. They had obtained a warrant based off what Peter had seen that morning. They were surprised at what they saw upon entering. The kitchen portion of the apartment had been turned into a makeshift lab. The man seemed to be making some sort of blue gel. Samples were gathered to be taken back to Dr. Stafford. On a table in the main room, were uniforms of varying kinds, wigs, fake facial hair, and even a muscle suit. Peter saw patches resembling the ones New York Paramedics wear, along with a patrolman uniform. He found varying IDs, including one that looked like the man he saw that morning with the name Anthony Dunmark, and Detective Danforth's security pass. What he saw next sent shivers down his spine. Sitting on the table were surveillance pictures of you. Some were taken through the windows of your apartment. Some were taken of you entering and leaving the precinct. There were photos of you and Dr. Stafford at the diner down the street from the precinct that you frequently went to for lunch. There was even a frame taken from the security camera in the morgue that morning, along with a maskless Peter, his back to the camera. Whoever this guy really was, he was after you. Then Peter saw the weapons. There were multiple guns of varying size, tasers, knives, rope, duct tape. Everything you would need to kidnap someone. Peter quickly went into the hallway and tried to call you. When he couldn't get through, he called Dr. Stafford.

"Yes, dear boy?" Dr. Stafford answered.

"Where is Y/N? I need to talk to her right away," he said, fear in his voice. His heart was racing and panic threatened to choke him.

"She had to leave the precinct. Someone is framing her for tampering with evidence. The precinct is on lock down, it would appear someone has breached security. According to protocol she had to leave until she can be cleared by an internal investigation. I suggested she eat at the diner and then head to the house to be with Maria," he replied, sensing Peter's fear and trying to calm him.

"Dr. Stafford, I can't get a hold of Y/N. I tried calling but she didn't answer. This man is after her, he's been watching her for weeks. He has surveillance photos everywhere and all sorts of disguises. How long ago did she leave?" Peter asked, his panic rising.

"Well over 30 minutes ago. I'll call Joey at the diner, get there as quick as you can!" he commanded, fear now rising within him as well. Peter ended the call and told the detectives he had to go, stating that Dr. Stafford could fill them in. He opened the window and shot a web at a streetlight across the street, propelling himself into the air with as much strength as he had. He quickly approached the diner and his heart sank with dread. Police vehicles, along with an ambulance, were outside the diner, lights flashing. Peter tried to remain calm, but inside he was in turmoil. He wanted to marry you, and now you might be gone. You were the love of his life, he had to find you, he would find you! He wouldn't stop until he did.

________________________________________________________________________________

You left the precinct and made the short walk down the street to the diner. Just as you were pulling the door open to go inside, someone bumped into you, knocking you into the door. You turned to look, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary, but the street in front of the diner was always crowded around lunch time. You saw something strange on your hand. Some sort of blue goo smeared across it. You took a tissue out of your wallet and wiped it clean, accidentally getting some of the goo on your wallet. You entered the diner and threw the tissue in the trash can.

"Hi Y/N, I've got your usual right here. Say hi to Doc for me," Joey, a large line cook, yelled from behind the stove.

"Thanks, but it's just me today. Hold Dr. Stafford's until later, I'm sure he'll be in this afternoon," you replied. You set your wallet and phone on the counter, opening your wallet to pay for your food when you put your hand on the counter, trying to steady yourself against the sudden swaying of the entire room.

"Y/N, you alright?" you heard someone say as the room tilted again. You couldn't keep you legs under you and quickly toppled over, blackness clouding your vision before you hit the ground. "Help, someone call 911," Joey yelled as he came out of the kitchen and around the counter.

"There's no need, we're right here," a man said as he approached. He had been sitting in the corner booth and Joey could now see he was a New York Paramedic. Another man came through the door with a stretcher and the same uniform, he had a scar across his left eyebrow. They quickly loaded you up and took you off to the hospital in an ambulance.... Well, that's what Joey thought.

A few minutes later Joey noticed that you had left your wallet and phone on the counter. He saw that your phone was ringing. He quickly tossed the phone and wallet into a drawer below the counter and locked it. He noticed there was some sort of goo on your wallet. Gross... he thought to himself and turned to the sink to wash his hands. Suddenly, the room seemed to tilt and before long everything went back. The man made a thunderous sound as he collapsed to the ground and this time 911 was called.

________________________________________________________________________________

Peter quickly approached the ambulance, preparing himself for the worst. He opened the door and saw a large man hanging over the stretcher, oxygen on his face.

"What happened?" he asked, fear gripping at him.

"A girl collapsed in my diner and some paramedics took her away. Not 5 minutes later, I collapsed as well. They say I'm fine, just knocked senseless for a bit," Joey answered.

"What hospital did they take the girl to?" Peter asked, desperate to find you.

"Don't know. Sorry," Joey stated, seeming very tired suddenly. Before long the monitors started to go off in the back of the ambulance as Joey's heart rate skyrocketed. He began to shake and sweat as the paramedics hurried to get him secure.

"Sorry Spider-Man, we have to take him to the hospital now, no more questions," one of the paramedics stated.

"Do you know where the other paramedics would have taken the girl?" Peter asked.

"What girl? We were the closest ones to the diner. There was no one else," the paramedic answered before slamming the door as the vehicle pulled away. Then Peter remembered the patch he had seen in Anthony's apartment. He swung back to the precinct to talk with Dr. Stafford and the detectives. He would find you at any cost.