4

When Hajiya returned home, she called Usman and asked him to meet her after work. Usman, caught up in meaningless thoughts at his office, quickly finished his work and headed straight to his mother's house.

He parked his car and exchanged a few words with the gatekeeper before making his way to the main parlor where he expected to meet his mother. Hajiya was sitting on a prayer mat, having just finished her prayers. Usman patiently waited for her to complete her azkar.

His children were thrilled to see him, especially Amira. He played with them while waiting for Hajiya. Once she finished her prayers, Usman asked Baraka to take the kids and give more attention to his mother.

Hajiya, who had remained silent since his arrival, finally spoke up, her voice filled with serious concern. "Usman, why did you divorce your wife?" she asked, her tone deeply unsettling.

Usman had no words to reply. He lowered his head, his heart pounding with fear and regret. Hajiya had finally discovered the truth, and silently, he acknowledged the gravity of the situation. Hajiya knew her son well, and his reaction indicated that he had no answer. She continued, "I don't know what got into you, but I'm sure you will regret it. It's not that I'm cursing you, but Zainaba was too good for you from the very beginning. Maybe the divorce will give her a better life, but not you. It would be good if you could ask her for forgiveness." Hajiya took a moment to catch her breath before continuing.

"When you introduced her to me as the woman you chose to spend your life with, I thought you loved her because she was bright and beautiful. But later, I understood that it was because she was kind and simple. She was your world, and you lost your world just because of some love passion you had for another woman," Hajiya lamented with sadness.

"Do you know how it feels to live as a product of a broken home? Do you know the pain? Yet, you want your own children to experience the same pain you did. Is that fair?" she asked, her anger still simmering.

"Hajiya, it was a mistake," Usman stammered, his voice trembling with fear and regret, his gaze still averted.

"Whatever it is," she shrugged, "I have already decided that you are not marrying that girl, Sa'ada, and I mean my words."

Usman swallowed hard, wanting to say something, but Hajiya cut him off. "Amma Hajiya...," he started, but she silenced him, "Kai, be quiet. You have no words to convince me. Please leave before I say something that could destroy your future."

Usman left quietly, unsure of what to do next.

Abu had always led a difficult life with her family. Her parents ignored her and treated her coldly. Her siblings were always scornful and rude towards her, never speaking to her kindly. Whenever she became upset, her parents would slander her in front of her siblings.

She would lock her door and weep, her silent sobs filled with bitterness. Abu carried her sorrows alone, reluctant to confide in anyone. She found solace in her own company, comforting herself through her struggles. The more she thought about her parents' mistreatment, the more her depression deepened. Since her divorce, she carried the burden of all the household work, which did not bother her as much as her parents' foul temper and her siblings' rude behavior.

Her only relief came when she went to school. She was in her final year at Bayero University. Sometimes she felt like not returning home after school. Going to school gave her a breath of fresh air, even on lecture-free days.

As was her routine since the divorce, after returning from school, she went to her mother's house and announced her arrival to surprise her kids. The happiness on her face reflected her delight in seeing them. Both Amira and Ummi ran excitedly to their mother. Umma, with tears in her eyes, exclaimed, "Sake su maza aiki na jiran ki, da kina son su kika bar gidan uban su (Let them go, you have a lot to do. If you love them, why did you leave their father in the first place)?" Abu did not respond, but silently retreated to her room, followed closely by her daughters. She only removed her veil and bag before emerging to start doing the dishes.