19

Because they spent nearly every day together with Ayatullah after lectures, their bond had grown so strong that it was challenging for anyone to discern which of the two friends Ayatullah held closer to his heart.

Despite being older than them, Ayatullah's amiable nature and wisdom earned him their deep respect, even though they were technically his seniors at the institution.

On one particular day, while they were engrossed in conversation, Khadija suddenly rose from her seat and checked her wristwatch. "None of you love me, do you? How could you forget to remind me that I have classes today, and I'm running late?"

Ummi chuckled, "Do you think we're here to keep track of your schedule? I advised you not to register for that course, but did you listen?" She teased, laughing.

Khadija dismissed the past with a wave. "That's water under the bridge. Right now, I need one of you to accompany me to class. You know how intimidating that lecturer can be," she said, her expression serious.

Ayatullah, ever the practical one, questioned, "Who is this lecturer who has you so worried?"

"It's Dr. Jabir, and I really need someone to come with me. Please?" Khadija implored.

"I'm not going anywhere," Ummi retorted. "Do you think my presence will stop him from scolding you for being late?"

At that moment, Ayatullah rose to his feet. "Let her be; I'll accompany you," he offered.

Ummi stood up too, wearing a mock expression of betrayal. "Are you planning on leaving me here alone?" she asked with a pout.

Khadija couldn't help but laugh. "That's the choice you made for yourself. Come on, Ayatullah, let's go," she said, still chuckling. Ummi had little choice but to follow them.

Arriving at their lecture hall, Ayatullah sighed with relief. "Thank God he's running late too," he said to Khadija.

Khadija breathed a sigh of relief. "Why don't you join me? Dr. Jabir may be strict, but his lectures are quite interesting," she suggested.

Ayatullah, however, couldn't believe his ears. "Are you kidding me? You want me to attend his class? That's a fate I'd rather avoid."

Ummi chimed in with conviction, "Over my dead body!"

Before they could further discuss it, they heard footsteps approaching from behind. Ummi turned to leave, only to come face-to-face with the lecturer himself. Her heart skipped a beat, and fear gripped her. "Good morning, Sir," she stammered, her voice trembling.

"Morning," Dr. Jabir replied with a smile before directing his gaze toward Ayatullah. "So, it's true that you've been skipping classes."

"Sorry, Sir," Ayatullah apologized innocently.

Dr. Jabir shrugged. "Apologize to yourself," he quipped before walking away.

Ummi shot Ayatullah an annoyed look before retrieving his timetable from her bag. "OMG, you even have a class now. Let's go," she said, marching toward the Level 2 hall without waiting for his response. Ayatullah had no choice but to follow her.

It was at the hall entrance that Ayatullah contemplated leaving upon spotting Fatahurrahman lecturing inside. However, Ummi halted him and pulled him inside. To his surprise, Fatahurrahman seemed to ignore their entrance and continued writing on the whiteboard. Ayatullah breathed a sigh of relief. Yet, before he could fully relax, he heard Fatahurrahman's voice telling him to stand up.

Fatahurrahman approached Ayatullah, his gaze then shifting to Ummi, who stood there apprehensively. "What is your name?" he asked.

"My name is Amatullah Usman Bashir," she replied, meeting his gaze while feeling like an intruder in this unfamiliar class.