Chapter 2: Unexpected News

Bekah and I had gotten out of class early to go for a run on the track at the end of the day. It was a good thing we didn't have much to do at the end of the school year, because I'd have freaked out if I didn't get my second run in. It was a control thing, I knew. Having complete control over my body was important to me after having had no control over it for over a year.

"I'm so excited for camp," Bekah told me as we came around for our second lap. Her long brown hair swung low behind her in a sleek ponytail and her tanned legs made her difficult to keep up with. "You are seriously going to be the best Captain. There's no way we won't dominate this season."

"I hope so," I told her. "I've reviewed conditioning with the coach, my dad, and Jessie who works with Dad as a trainer at the college. They all think it's great, so it should work but..."

"Reese," she looked at me with her golden-brown eyes like I was crazy, making her already sharp facial features appear as if they were about to slice me in half. "There's absolutely no way that it isn't the best thing since Jesse McCartney released Beautiful Soul."

"Well," I blushed, "I wouldn't go that far. I mean, Jesse's perfect."

"And so is your training program!" she gave me a side hug as we slowed down to finish walking the rest of the track. The late afternoon sun was a lot less forgiving than the soft morning rays. "You have put more into this team than anyone else. You are going to make us win. I can feel it!"

"Really?" I asked, just needing the validation.

"Yes!" she assured me. "Now, tell me, did David ask you out yet?"

I let out a whoosh of a breath, before rolling my eyes. David was one of Charlie's friends from the football team. He was over at our house frequently to play video games with my brother and, if Bekah was to be believed, to ogle at me.

"He has not, and he won't," I informed her primly. "Just because you go to Junior Prom with a guy, doesn't mean you are actually dating. Neither of us had a date, so it was really just an arrangement of convenience. Besides, he's not my type."

Now it was her turn to roll her eyes, "Then what is your type? Because at this point, I think the only thing that would get you hot and heavy would be if one of our volleyballs started to talk and used SAT vocabulary."

Unbidden, a pair of blue eyes connected with dimples came to mind, but I pushed them away. It was hardly worth thinking about HIM when I hadn't even seen the boy in years. I was turning eighteen this year and I've had clean bill of health ever since (except for one minor incident). It was past time to move on.

Instead of dwelling, I just stared at Bekah with eyes wide, "Why am I friends with you?"

"About thirty percent desperation mixed with seventy percent of you love me," she shrugged with a smirk.

I nodded, "Sounds about right." She was also the only friend I had who didn't completely ditch me or start acting weird after I got sick. She was, at her core, solid and dependable, despite her occasionally outrageous remarks. Without a doubt she had to be one of my favorite people.

"So, why did we run early again?" she asked as we turned to head back to the locker rooms, the sound of dirt and gravel on the track kicking up under our feet. "More family obligations?"

"Shooting the Christmas Card."

"Right!" she laughed. "Tis the season to sweat your face off in a reindeer sweater. God! I love your family. They're such a riot if a bit predictable."

I laughed, "Of course we're predictable. We Bakers have our routine down pat. We aren't about to change it anytime soon."

Poor, naïve little Reese. How wrong I was.