Chapter 8:Loyalties

Alina woke up early the next day – it was Monday, and she had to go to work. The sound of her door opening woke Erik up instantly every time he even slept that long. She tried to be quiet, but Erik doubted she could be that quiet; he'll be damned if after thirty years anything catches him by surprise.

That's not true. Yesterday she did surprise me. What will our lives be like now? I've never been in a situation remotely close to this. I have nothing to go by. How am I supposed to act?

He had nothing to do today, he realized as he lay in bed looking at the ceiling. He'd handed in all he meant to do for the park and Jack had told him he'd handle the rest until the construction started after New Year's. Erik had no plans for what he'd do after and given the… everything that happened yesterday he didn't even think about it until now.

Since he was already awake, he decided he might as well get up and wish her a good morning. He got dressed and put on the mask quickly before going out. He still had no clue how to act.

Alina was by the stove already, making coffee. She turned when she saw him smiling.

"Come here. I can't move or this will explode."

He obediently walked up to her. "Good morning." He was unsure what to do – he wanted to hold her, but what if she changed her mind after yesterday? He wasn't too eager to find out. What if she just pushed him away? The possibility made him sick.

Alina leaned toward Erik, wrapping one arm around him while stirring with the other. "Good morning to you, too." The wide, genuine smile she gave him melted some of his insecurity.

Does that mean I can do whatever I want?

It meant something at least, he thought. He put his arm around her shoulders. "Classes today?"

I'm a proper Don Juan in my spare time, and I excel at talking to women.

"Yes. Thank God it's only one more week until I can lock the door for the holidays. You have no idea how impossible they get this time of year. They'd talk about anything other than the intended subject. Wait," she said, releasing him to pour coffee into two small cups. "I suppose you want some too? What are you doing today?"

"Nothing. I don't know. I might write."

"Write?" Alina took some bread and started slicing it.

"Write music. I haven't written anything down in a while. I have some ideas."

"Can I hear it later?" Alina, I smiled. She loved hearing him play.

"I doubt it." She looked at him, in surprise. "It's not violin music. It requires an orchestra, which I don't have."

"Oh. But if you did have an entire orchestra…" Alina raised her eyebrows in question.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I don't have one, as it is. I'll play the part I can." Erik shrugged as she sat down by the table, and he thought for a moment before deciding to sit across her, as he had always done before.

"When are you coming back?" he said before, he could stop himself. I am very good at keeping women wanting as well. Not clinging at all. Desmond would be proud.

"The school finishes around two, but I have something to discuss with the principal later. I don't know. I'll try not to take too long," she replied. "If you have no other plans, we could have dinner together when I come back."

"You're inviting me to have dinner with you? Isn't that a bit backward?" It was not as if he would refuse, but he would have liked to have a chance to invite her first.

It dawned on Erik he might have to be quicker around her, or one day she might ask him to marry her before he had the chance to do it himself. Not likely, freak. Don't forget.