Prologue: Our Emptiness

~•☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎︎•~

The grass was soft beneath Dream's body, like those fluffy blankets that keep you warm, the sun not shining so much to be too hot or too cloudy to become cold. Resting beside his mother's loving body as her leaves drift among the wind. Though Dream wasn't the only one on this nice sunny day.

"Brother, I cannot believe that the main character just threw away his life like that. How's that heroic if the hero can't be there for his people?" Nightmare, his twin scoffed as he leaned against Dream.

Nightmare is so cute when he's pouting like that, it was rare for him to make a lot of expressive faces nowadays.

When was the last time he made such a face?

Dream only sighed, "There is a thing called a heroic sacrifice, where the hero stops the big bad for good! It's a popular trope nowadays. I'm surprised that you didn't know about it given that you have been reading human literature for a long time!"

In retort, Nightmare responded with a small slap on Dream's face with his book.

"It's a useless story." He started, " just because it is popular doesn't mean that it is good. The character didn't even stop the 'big bad' from winning, in fact, his sacrifice was futile since he ended up losing anyway."

Ah, his brother is so smart, being able to point out the plot points. Where was his shy older brother before hmm? Dream wanted to laugh.

"That's silly, the hero will always win. The fact that the story ended like that means there will be more beyond the book! Another trial the hero has to face just like the good people of the village, to show that all conflict and error can be righted with effort." He moves the book out of his face.

Monster and human kind are always changing, though it is tiring always being there for them. Even if it is not clear if it was deserved. Strange, did Dream always felt this way?

Nightmare looked at Dream with a suspicious look. "Where did you learn to speak old man? It would've been a wise statement if it wasn't coming from you, specifically."

"Hey!" Dream sat up and did a fake punch to his brother's arm, insulted. "I can be wise! I am very wise! I am full of virtue and deep, meaningful insight that you have yet to understand!"

"Okay," Nightmare was laughing. "Yeah sure, what makes you believe the hero always wins despite the odds? What makes you believe the hero is a "good" guy beyond first appearances? Strange is it not that some, if not most of them have a happy ending in worlds that are at their wit's end of destruction?"

That caught Dream off guard. He pondered in thought, eyes un-swayed by his brother before speaking his response. "Doesn't the hero always win? After all, out of all adversaries, the hero would manage to lead the story by their own determination. Even in their interests, it would end up flowing with his 'good' side with the help of his friends to guide him along the way. Show the world what they are made of!"

"Ha, okay... you believe that the hero embodies the phrase; carpe diem."

"Carpe diem?"

Nightmare explains "Seize the day; a phrase that inspired writers and poets for centuries and counting. All adding their interpretation for true freedom and will."

Dream, the bright star looked at him with a soft smile "Really? That's delightful! I knew there are others out there who chose to embody that kind of hope, one that gives life purpose."

He missed the days when he and Nightmare would just sit and chat along under their mother.

Nightmare hummed. "Hmn~ Gather ye rose-buds while ye may, oh time is still a-flying..." Nightmare looked at his book, his mind wondering for just a moment, before clenching his hands with his eyes darting to his twin.