Chapter 6: Making an Exception

About a week later, Kitsune and Milo were out on another 'gig' as Milo called it. It was evening, and they were heading to the downtown area. Since last time they went on these, Kitsune made herself a cloak- by suggestion of the reaper. It was black with gold, silk lining. A red heart pin was used to keep the cloak clasped by her chest. The hood had little horn formations- again, Milo's suggestion.

"Soooo, where is this spirit, Milo?" The redhead asked, as they roamed the slightly darkened streets.

"Should be just up ahead, darling. Just a few more streets to go." The reaper responded. "From what I understand, the spirit in question died from falling off of their apartment building." They explained.

Kitsune nodded in understanding. "Hopefully the death wasn't too painful, in that case." She remarked.

"Fortunately, falling from high distances tends to kill humans relatively quickly- so, it was most likely relatively painless." Milo stated.

Before long, the two came across a floating, glowing blue orb. Here it was- the spirit. With a subtle nod to each other, the two friends walked over. "Hello, dear. My name is Milo- me and my lovely assistant have come here to collect your soul." Milo stated, getting the orb's attention.

"O... Ok.." The spirit responded, sounding defeated. It sounded like a young woman.

Kitsune hummed a bit, feeling slightly concerned. "What... happened to you?" She asked.

"W-Well, I was on the roof with my friend. We got into a fight, and she pushed m-me off the roof.. She's still crying up there..." The ghost explained.

The redhead couldn't help but feel sympathetic for the poor soul. That's way too early for a death, especially for someone so young. She didn't know much about reaping souls- hell, she only got into this field because of Milo- but maybe.. there was a chance to give this girl a second chance. Afterall, some humans die for a few minutes and then come back to life, right?

She turned to Milo. "Hey, Milo..?" She softly spoke up.

"What is it, boo?" Milo responded, turning to look at her.

"Listen... I know that there are rules in place, but do you think... We could make an exception for her? Just this once?" She asked, hopeful.

Milo stared at her for a moment, frowning slightly. "Kitsune, darling, I know you feel bad, but.." They hesitated. Did it really matter? I mean, it's just one human, right? What would it matter?

Adding more to the slight pressure, Kitsune started using the puppy eyes. 'This little minx.' Milo thought to themself, sighing a bit as they chuckled. "Oh, alright. Just this once." They stated.

"R-Really?! Thank you, thank you!!" The girl chirped, as she was surrounded with light. Before long, her soul was back in her body.. Even though she was in quite a bit of pain. Footsteps were heard coming over from inside the building. Milo took that as their cue to leave, so without another word, they grabbed Kitsune's hand and walked her into the alley.

They stood there for a moment, listening to the relieved talking and crying of the girl's friend and presumably mother. Kitsune smiled, turning back to Milo. She was beyond grateful. "Thanks for bringing her back, Milo. I really, really appreciate it!" She chirped.

Milo ruffled her hair, chuckling a bit. "It isn't any trouble, darling. You're just lucky you're so cute." They responded. "Seriously, be careful with those puppy eyes of yours! They could be lethal." They joked.

Kitsune giggled, throwing her arms around them. "You're the best!!" She beamed.

Milo was frozen in place for a second. Typically, they were the ones taking people's breath away- but it felt like they were the breathless one. Their heart seemed to race slightly, their face taking on a slightly purple tint. Slowly, they hugged Kitsune back. "It's really nothing, Kitsune. I just like seeing you happy." They remarked.

As they stood in the alley, Milo silently smiled to themself. They sighed a bit, resting their head on Kitsune's head. They knew exactly what was happening. What they were experiencing.

They were in love.