CHAPTER TWELVE - SEPARATED

Max had crawled into what remained of the manor's master bedroom. There was an extravagant mahogany four-poster bed abandoned in the middle of the room. The large window had been haphazardly boarded over, and a grand wardrobe stood imposingly in the far corner.

Where's Kris? He thought. I'm sure she was right behind me.

He glanced into the shaft, but all was quiet.

At least there's no sign of the zombie for now.

Max approached the door and turned the handle.

"Over... Here..." a voice whispered, sounding both impossibly far away and so close at the same time. Max spun around and shivered. The temperature of the room felt as if it had suddenly plunged to near freezing.

"W-who's there?" He shouted. He was sure that he was alone in the room. There was nothing but silence in reply.

He turned back, and the unearthly voice spoke again, louder this time.

"I'm... Here..."

It's coming from the wardrobe! Max stiffened.

Despite every logical thought screaming at him to leave, something about the voice compelled him to investigate. Arming himself with a brass candlestick that lay discarded underneath the bed, he tiptoed towards the wardrobe door. His hand trembled as he hooked his finger through the door ring and yanked hard on it. The door swung open, and he jumped back, ready to defend himself against the mystery assailant. The wardrobe was empty. Without letting his guard down, he stepped closer and tentatively peered inside. A random pile of items littered the floor of the wardrobe. Turning on his torch, he illuminated an assortment of backpacks, books, jewellery, clothes and countless other trinkets. As he rifled through his discovery, he confirmed what he feared the most.

All these things belong to the children that have gone missing in Fading Hope. But why did the voice lead me to this? Max thought. And whose voice was it? Why did it seem so... familiar?

Unsettled by the morbid discovery, He slowly closed the wardrobe door.

* * *

Kris searched the storeroom, but the shelves inset into the wall were empty. There was a small grate in the wall at eye level across from the shaft, and she peered through it. Outside, she could see the darkening silhouettes of the houses of Fading Hope.

They have no idea what's going on in this house.

A shiver ran through her.

It's so cold all of a sudden.

She turned around and staggered back in shock. Behind where the cabinet once stood were large letters carved into the wall.

YOU WILL DIE AT MIDNIGHT.

That wasn't there a minute ago.

The threat burned deep into her mind.

We have to get out of here!

She left the room, shutting the door behind her gently, trying not to make a sound. After all, somewhere in the house, the zombie of Montgomery Dreadgrave prowled, no doubt intent on revenge, and she was certain she hadn't seen the last of him tonight. She could still recall the moment she looked through the basement window and straight into his searing, blood-red eyes, an experience she had no desire to repeat. Looking around, she realised that she was at the opposite end of the firstfloor corridor from where they had investigated the room with

Lewis' screams earlier. Moonlight streamed through the hallway windows at both ends providing the only source of light. She walked hesitantly down the corridor and spied the descending staircase on the right. She froze.

I heard something moving!

As if to confirm her worst fears, the door to her left ahead slowly creaked open. Pale fingers taunted her as they wrapped themselves menacingly around the edge of the door.