Chapter 5 - Trapped

"HEEEEEEEEELP!" Sam exclaimed, "HELP! HELP ME! SOMEONE HELP ME! PLEASE!" Sam pounded aggressively on the door. "HES HERE! THE MIDNIGHT MAN HE-" 

A strong silence filled the air. The screaming had stopped, the banging had stopped. Colby, Kat and Jake kept their distance from the door, but they all listened in silence, too scared to speak. After a few moments Jake walked slowly towards the door, with his eyes fixed directly on it. He held his candle stretched out in front of him, and was shaking violently as he approached the tall, white, wooden door that Sam was behind. 

Jake stood at the door for a while. He stared at it, waiting for Sam or the midnight man to make a noise. After a few minutes of staring at the door in silence, Jake turned around and gave Colby and Kat a confused look as he shrugged his shoulders.

Colby started walking towards the door, and when he got there, Jake could see a determined look in his eyes. 

"Colby." Jake whispered "Whatever you're about to do, don't do it. You have that look in your eyes, the one you get whenever your about to something stupid."

Kat walked over to the door to join Colby and Jake, now they were all standing, looking up at the huge wooden door in front of them.

"Colby." Kat whispered, "Jake." She continued, "We need to call the police! Sam could die!"

"Or hes just playing a prank to scare us?" Said Jake. 

"Hmmmm" Wondered Colby, "But what if hes not playing a prank on us? What if hes hurt? Would Sam really do this to us?"

SMASH! Sam's candle broke and shards of glass slipped under the gap in the door.

Colby, Jake and Kat all screamed and ran upstairs. Colby and Kat had made it to the second floor, but Jake dropped his candle halfway up the stairs, sending scolding hot wax dripping down his arm. When his candle hit the floor, glass smashed everywhere and Jake fell down the stairs, sinking into the darkness below.

"JAKE! NO!" Screamed Colby, as he launched himself at the stairs. Kat grabbed his arm and with all her strength, pulled him up again. They both landed on the floor, Colby on top of Kat. They scrambled to their feet, picked up their candles, and decided to go to Sam's room. 

"Colby! Colby! The papers! Look!" Kat pointed to an open door, the door Sam had locked.

They both walked to the door, and saw ripped paper everywhere. Sam and Jake's papers were torn into tiny little pieces. 

"Colby..." Kat said with a shaky voice, "I don't think this is a prank.  Remember what Sam said, the paper represents your life! If something happens to the paper, it happens to you. If this was a prank, how would the door be unlocked and open? No one was upstairs! And I don't think this is over. Its only 2:30 Colby!"

"Kat." Colby said quietly, "Listen, we need to turn on the lights. Now!" 

Colby ran to the light switch at the end of the hallway and turned it on. But no lights turned on. He then walked to Sam's room and tried the light. Nothing. They couldn't go down stairs because of the glass, and they had no power. Kat ran to the window and tried to open it. It was locked. All the windows where. She took out her phone, and it was on 0%. So was Colby's. They had no choice but to play the game, and they still had an hour left.

They looked into each other's eyes. What were they going to do.....