Chapter 2 - The Decision of Femininity

Why was this eating me alive? The fact that i was picked over thousands of thousands of candidates, especially men candidates. What's the goal? To show that a woman really couldn't excel in society? To prove to people that they care about woman's wellbeing? What's the purpose? Is this a joke to them? Why get an assistant now? My eyes were locked on the floor but my mind was deep inside my head analyzing every aspect of this situation. It always feels like a trance, whenever i get caught into a situation that causes my head to hurt, i withdraw, i always end up feeling defeated in the end. A light breeze blew itself onto my body, jerking my shoulders up then tenses back down. How am i making myself regret a decision, I haven't even made yet? What's the purpose of this? Do i even what to do detective work? What am i saying?
"Scarlett!" My eyes jerked from the floor to the voice that made my eyes and body scan my surroundings. Just as her children were beautiful Mrs. Lighton was the face of beauty, her long dark brown hair hanged from a bun with small pieces of curls falling out. Her dresses always consisted of pastel colors that Victoria and Alexander both inherited similar color pallets. The ends of her dress were always darkened with mud and dirt which covered her boots, occasionally, you can catch her with dirt smeared on her face.
"I swear, I'm always scared when you do that, one of these days I'm gonna think you are dead, sweetie" Her eyes stayed on me.
"I'm sorry, Mrs. lighton. It's a habit."
"Mom!" Four loud voices shouted causing me to slump into my seat. My head moved to the fourth voice, his steps pounding on the ground. The Police Chief was as handsome as his wife was beautiful both were considered the elites when they were younger, they became a perfect couple even years after marriage.
"Scarlett, i understand that you are uncomfortable calling us that in public but when we are home, i am dad and she is mom, do you understand?" He extended his hand to his wife and i let out a breath from exhaustion for the many many times we have had this conversation.
"Sorry, mom. Sorry dad" I lowered my eyes annoyed but warmth roared in my body from their love.
"Honey! Your home!"
Mrs. lighton ... Mom carried herself up so swift, greeting her husband in a tight hug, they latched their arms around one another and looked into each others eyes with a burning look. Victoria and Alexander both jumped up and ran into a hug for their, our father. They were all so perfect, the towns people never let me forget that. They didn't dare go up against the Lightons, they were a powerful family, but that didn't stop them from coming for me most of my life. If they knew half the things that have happened to me, I'm not sure what would happen. I was pulled into a hug by Mr. Lighton with a peck on the head where he always kisses.
"Did you get the position?" Mr. Lighton asked with a smile reaching both ears.
"She did get it!" Alexander cheered, matching his fathers smile.
"Are you gonna take it?"
"It doesn't make sense, why did they pick me out of all the other candidates, I'm sure there was someone better suited than me" I pressed, making my thoughts known. My head rocked making me lightheaded.
"Such a worrier, this one. Who cares if there were someone better suited, they picked you! They must have seen something, they didn't see in the others"
"I wish i could be as optimistic as you, Mom"
"Well, whichever decision you make we will all support you either way"
"Well said dad!"
They all agreed staring at me, waiting for a decision.
"I guess, it wouldn't hurt to try something new for two weeks"
Was i trying to convince them or myself? Something is making me uneasy, but is it me or is it something else? But really what can change in two weeks?