3. The disappearance of Silvertail

Emberstorm

Present day... (14 moons old)

Emberstorm took his place beneath the highrock beside Beetlefur and Waspheart. Beetlefur cuddled up next to him, while Waspheart made sure there was a good amount of personal space between them. Proudstar sat at the top of the highrock, with Smokestorm sitting off to the side.
Dawnfern and Quailwhisker's kits were finally becoming apprentices. This was bad.
Of course, Emberstorm knew it was coming soon, but there was a problem. Smokestorm had found out about him and his two friends sneaking out as apprentices; she'd kept him and Beetlefur apprentices for an extra moon because of it (Waspheart was already a warrior at that time but he was punished with collecting every herb that Darkcloud needed for a whole moon instead of hunting or patrolling). But, he had this odd feeling that one of the kits was going to be his apprentice. Smokestorm was smart, but Emberstorm could see what she was thinking. Knowing the deputy, she was going to assign an apprentice to him so he couldn't do something stupid. Apprentices were usually curious and talkative. If he had an apprentice and they saw him do something rebellious, they'd tell her. The apprentice would confine him to stay at camp.
Proudstar licked his snout, preparing to commence the ceremony now that everyone was ready and waiting. Everyone, except Silvertail. She'd gone hunting late to gather extra prey for the elders, who'd had some difficulties through the newly ended leaf-bare.

A light brown tabby apprentice trotted over to Waspheart.
"Can I sit with you?" Goosepaw asked quietly, not wanting to interrupt Proudstar.
Waspheart nodded.
Goosepaw, who had been born around three moons after Emberstorm, was currently the only apprentice. But, he was about to get more.
"How do you feel about getting some more apprentices with you?" Waspheart asked, he'd always been great with kits and apprentices.
"It's cool that we're getting more apprentices, but I'll be a warrior in a moon so we won't be apprentices together for long." Goosepaw stated.
Proudstar coughed, hearing the chatter. Everyone quieted down.
Beetlefur wrapped her long fluffy tail around Emberstorm's back. Emberstorm couldn't do the same, but he purred in response. Beetlefur was always very kind to him, and a little protective. He was sure there was something between them, but he was too nervous to act on it explicitly.

"Hollowkit, Adderkit, Cedarkit and Frogkit. Step forth." Proudstar commanded.
The four kits stood in front of the general crowd. Proudstar turned towards Frogkit. Frogkit was practically shaking with excitement.
"Frogkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Frogpaw. Your mentor will be Duskwing. I hope Duskwing will pass down all he knows on to you."
Proudstar called up Duskwing.
"Duskwing, you are ready to take on another apprentice. You will be the mentor of Frogpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to him."
Frogpaw and Duskwing touched noses.
"Frogpaw! Frogpaw!" ThunderClan cheered.
Emberstorm looked towards the exit of camp, growing wondering if Silvertail had returned. She hadn't.

Hollowkit was after Frogpaw.
The entire time Proudstar was talking about Hollowkit, Emberstorm stared holes into the back of the new apprentice's head. Emberstorm loved his name, his warrior name especially sounded very cool. But, why would this random kit be named after his father? If anything, he should have been named after Hollowfang.
Hollowpaw received Spiderclaw as his mentor, who was conveniently Emberstorm's uncle and Hollowfang's brother.
Adderpaw received Wrenfeather as her mentor, her adopted older brother who was also Frogpaw and Cedarkit's father. That whole thing was confusing. Smokestorm and Wrenfeather were adopted by Dawnfern and Duskwing, but after their kits had grown up they wanted kits of their own blood. Wrenfeather had kits with Quailwhisker, making Hollowpaw and Adderpaw the non-biological aunt and uncle of Frogpaw and Cedarkit despite the four being the same age.
Finally, it was Cedarkit's turn. Silvertail still hadn't shown, which began to make Emberstorm nervous.
"Cedarkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Cedarpaw. Your mentor will be Emberstorm. I hope Emberstorm will pass down all he knows on to you."
StarClan give me strength. He thought sourly.
Beetlefur and Waspheart congratulated him silently.
Proudstar turned to him.
"Emberstorm." He called him forth. Emberstorm begrudgingly stepped forwards while glaring at Smokestorm, knowing that she'd suggested the idea. He sat beside Cedarpaw, who wore a stoic expression.