Chapter 3

"Happy Birthday to me!" I mentally sang as I trotted around the pen. Today we would be assigned our care takers for the wars. Before the wars, a wolf shifter would be assigned to us, to make us 'ready' for them. They would stay with us, until the wars began. The wolves came up to the pen, and started picking us out, of course I was one of the last to be picked, a little boy slipped a old, tough, and cracked leather halter over my head. I plodded along behind him as he led me by a set of cross-ties, he snapped them onto my halter. He opened the trunk on the floor next to me and grabbed some brushes.

He began to clean the caked mud and blood off of me, and he soon had my gray coat shinning.
"Well boy, you'd look pretty darn good if your leg wasn't that way." he said. He then started to brush out my tangled mane and tail. When it was straightened out, he grabbed a pulling comb and started to thin out my mane and tail. He stepped back and admired his work, he frowned down at my over grown hooves. He walked off, and came back with hoof trimmers. He trimmed, filed, and treated my hooves for thrush.

He grabbed a bottle of hoof oil, and applied that as well. I'll have to admit he did a pretty good job. " I'll be right back," he said and dashed down the isle. He came back with a fancy leather halter that had a gold plate on both sides. I looked at the name engraved on it. I stamped my hoof in frustration. The name they had on was the most degrading thing they could have put on there. Etched in fancy letters, the name Pariah stood out like a sore thumb. Pariah in the pack's language means out cast, or laughing stock. The boy slipped off the old halter, and then put the new one on.

I was then led into a stall. Inside was a large window, a water bucket, feed pail, and hay net. I went over and munched on some hay while the little boy poured feed in the pail. I looked out the window, and saw the wolves sorting out the mare pen. They grabbed a younger looking bay mare with dapples, and slipped a fancy halter on her head. Argo seem bothered by this greatly.
"What's the matter?" I asked him.
Nothing, he grumbled.

I rolled my eyes and continued to watch. The wolves led her into a pen all by herself. I tried to use my shifter hearing to listen to the wolves' conversation.
"Yep, this mare is the one."
"What do you mean?"
"She is the prize for the Stallion Wars, she and Maska will look great together."
"Yea."
So this mare was the prize of their stupid little game. I walked over to the door, and the boy was back.

"Come on boy we're going to meet your prize if you win." He snapped the lead rope on, and led me out to then paddock where all the other stallions were already standing. I sniffed noses with the mare, when Argo spoke up.
Mate!