1: Just Your Average Invasion

Ley blinked and got out of bed as the morning sun's rays burst through his window and caressed him with its annoyingly warm touch. He rubbed his eyes, and went to get ready for school.

As he descended the stairs, he felt himself inch up a little in height. He quickly forced himself back down.

Nope. Absolutely not.

"Good morning, Ley!" Cameron's voice rang out.

Ley gave him a tired, sleep-filled smile."Hey, Dad."

"Come on, kid! You can't be late for school!" The man hurried over and handed him a piece of warm cheese wrapped in thin bread. "I know, it's not much, but I've got to get to the RDF."

"Still on high alert?" Ley sighed, as he grabbed his jacket and bag. His adoptive father nodded.

"It's about time that the Nightmares emerge. The entire city is tense." Cameron said as he grabbed his crossbow, strapped on his blue helmet, and opened the door.

"I wish I could help you." Ley grumbled, as he followed him into the streets. "I'd be able to-"

"No." Cameron hissed, placing a hand over Ley's mouth. "I do too, alright? But they'll kill you. I can't let that happen." He looked away. "But, I can't stop you. Just... please?"

Ley exhaled in frustration. "But I feel so useless!"

His guardian gave him a sad smile. "Don't worry, you're anything but that." He hugged Ley. "Now go to school."

Ley hugged Cameron back. "Stay alive for me, Dad."

Cameron hurried away, shouting, "Will do!"

Ley smiled, and darted in the opposite direction, heading to the school building.

...

The Remorian Education for Youth, despite its daunting name, just an average middle school. Ley was in grade eight, and was just about bored out of his mind.

As the professor droned on and on about the history of Remorei weaponry, Ley's mind drifted elsewhere. He thought about the Nightmares. Cameron had asked him about whether or not he knew his birth parents. Ley had seen glimpses of their faces, but indeed, never knew them.

He couldn't remember anything about his life when he was younger.

It wasn't a surprise that he was a Nightmare, though; Cameron had told him as soon as he was old enough to understand. He had stressed the importance of staying human-sized, for if the authorities found out, he and Cameron would be killed.

Ley jolted out of his thoughts when he felt himself start to grow.

Speak of the devil! He thought in frustration, and sank into his seat as he shrank down, grumbling.

Bad move.

"Do you have something to announce, Ley?" The professor's voice rang out. It was warm, but firm. Ley froze, and stuttered, "Uh, n-no, Professor Margo..."

He felt eyes, eyes of students, digging into his body, silently but not quietly judging him.

"Alright." Amongst the quiet snickering of the students, he turned back to the board. "Silence!" The man yelled, and the room grew silent.

Ley mentally cursed himself. Today was going to be a long day...

...

"Woh! Rough day, eh?" Kaila said, nudging Ley's shoulder as they walked around on the field.

"Tell me about it." Ley groused. "I mean, I have nothing against Professor Margo, but..." He stopped talking. He couldn't talk about changing sizes. Nope!