Bedtime

Six year old Valkyrie couldn't seem to fall back asleep. She awoke about 20 or so minutes ago to get a drink of water, and she was too awake to fall back asleep.

She turned to look over at her brother, Dee. He was fast asleep, curled up with his thumb in his mouth.

Suddenly, she had an idea. Whenever her brother had a nightmare, he always climbed out of bed to sleep in their parent's bed. The idea had merit, due to her always finding her brother fast asleep in his bed come morning.

She slipped out of her bed, making sure to be quiet as she tiptoed out of their bedroom. She made her way through the dark halls, placing her hand on the walls to figure her way around the darkened house.

Soon, she found her way to her parent's bedroom. She quietly opened the door, it slowly creaking open to reveal the inside of the room. Her father was alone on the bed, her mom having left after dinner to attend to some business with her friends.

Valkyrie slowly made her way up her parent's bed, pulling her self up. Her father was fast asleep, so she made sure to be quiet as she crawled over and curled up next to him.

She had to admit, just having her father's presence there felt lovely and safe.

Suddenly, she felt warm arms wrap around her and pull her close. Her father had snuggled up against her, gently ruffling her hair. She nuzzled up against her father, a warm feeling of comfort washing over her.

Before she knew it, she was fast asleep again.