1 Million Years PE

Since 10,000 years post-establishment (PE), a world now 990,000 years old, many changes have come to the planet of Terra 2. First is the now wide assortment of pigments in capybaras and hamsters, which can be found in shades of brown, beige, and even black. In North Almara, near the poles, many capybara species have coats that now wax and wane throughout the year to adapt to the regular change in seasonal temperatures. The expanding icecap, while barely 150 miles across, is growing rapidly. Snowfall is more common, enough to encourage the evolution of seasonal molting, though still rare and unheard of on the rest of the planet. The first examples of land-based predation are beginning to evolve in the form of the egg robbins, a small group of unrelated robins that occasionally feast on the eggs of other avian species. The relatively defenseless, flightless, and very stupid kiwi birds are no match for these opportunistic robbers, who take advantage of the kiwis' vulnerability. Egg robbins now sport hook-shaped bills, perfect for breaking open eggs, and their lightweight bodies allow for quick getaways if caught. While a kiwi can’t do much to protect its massive, ostrich-sized eggs, it barks aggressively and can appear quite intimidating to the untrained eye. However, egg robbins aren’t so easily deceived.

Some kiwis are protected by a small ally, however: kiwi ants. These loyal defenders scare off any egg-eating robin from stealing the friendly bird’s eggs. But even the ants can sometimes develop an appetite for eggs. When a partner kiwi leaves to forage, the ants will sometimes break open the egg and feed the yolk to their larvae and queen. Before the mother kiwi returns, the ants cover their tracks by framing a dead egg robbin. They overwhelm one, or find an already deceased bird, and stash its body inside the broken eggshell. From the kiwi’s perspective, a robin ate its egg, and the ants valiantly protected it. So why stop trusting them? Though once a symbiotic relationship, the bond between ants and kiwis is turning toxic and parasitic in some.

Thousands of hamster species, approximately 7,000 in total, now inhabit Terra 2. Such a large quantity of their kind may never again exist upon Terra 2. They have almost lost their tunneling instinct, though they could still tunnel if necessary. Instead, they make their homes in thickets of weeds and bamboo grasses. Their lifespans have increased dramatically; rather than living just 1-2 years, they can now live up to 7 years. This is likely due to the surplus of food and the absence of predators, allowing them to breed more often and for a longer time. A short lifespan is no longer necessary, and a single hamster can produce up to 200 offspring in one generation, contributing to their incredible biodiversity. Some species have also evolved to feed on insects, such as grasshoppers and crickets, rather than being restricted to plant matter. The only threats hamsters now face are storms or the occasional skirmish with others. It seems they are destined for an above-ground existence.

The relatives of hamsters, the capybaras, are now more widespread than ever and are among the largest land animals on Terra 2. They can be found on all three continents, ranging in size from 1 to 4 feet at the shoulder. Some have shrunk to adapt to the hot temperatures at the equator, while others have grown larger, evolving towards gigantothermy near the northern coasts. For the time being, however, a four-foot capybaras lack sufficient mass or insulating muscle to stay warm through gigantothermy alone, so they have developed long, thick coats. The Northern Capybara, measuring about 4 feet 3 inches, is the largest species on the planet. They feed on the few types of grass that can survive the harsh storms in Northern Almara and can consume up to half their body weight daily. Their diminutive relatives, the Summer Capybaras, are nearly as small as rabbits, barely reaching 1 foot in height. Unfortunately, summer capybara cubs often fall prey to egg robbin attacks as the younger capybaras are much more adventurous in terms of their diets, often overlapping with that of the egg robbins.

Another notable critter on land is the garden snail. They are now the largest mollusks on Terra 2, at least among land-dwelling mollusks. They are too large to be eaten by insectivorous kiwis or robins, yet too small to pose a threat to capybaras. While their shells have shrunk, they remain present, and their bodies are massive, growing nearly 3 feet in length in some species. They reproduce often, sometimes twice in a single day, and lead long, oblivious lives of up to 11 years. Because of their immense size, they are too heavy to slither up bamboo plants like their smaller relatives, so they cannot feed on their succulent leaves. Instead, they gnaw at the base of the stalk until the entire plant collapses, allowing them to move up and claim their meal. It’s a strange sight to witness a 3-foot snail devouring a bamboo plant after cutting it down like a lumberjack.

In the oceans, life is also diversifying. Guppies and goldfish have grown by several inches due to predation from piscivorous lobsters who, like most predators, tend to choose the easier meal, favoring small, slow prey over large, fast ones. Guppies have colonized nearly all freshwater environments, including rivers, lakes, and estuaries. They are particularly common alongside goldfish in the northern Okiinan Riverlands, a network of freshwater rivers and lakes along Okiina's northern coast. This area, despite being far north, is unusually warm and humid due to an air current from the Subcontinental Gulf colliding with one from the eastern Open Ocean, creating a warm draft. Bamboo forests are prevalent, and fish thrive in schools of millions. Herbivorous robins gather in flocks of millions to feed on dandelion seeds and grasses. This is one of the first tropical environments, though not the only one, to appear on Terra 2. However, as the climate slowly cools, such environments may not last forever.

Plant life, particularly bamboo, has become incredibly abundant and successful. Bamboo woodlands grow anywhere there are storms or sunlight, allowing them to quickly recover from damage caused by hurricanes or tornadoes. Some bamboo now grows up to 90 feet tall, making it difficult for birds to access their leaves due to high winds. Bamboo is absent only in the ocean and the Tielen Isles, an isolated island chain off the coast of the Dakina Land Bridge (see map). Dandelions and roses, both of which grow in close clusters connected by roots, have begun to lose their color, and their flowers are diminishing. Their colors, which once attracted pollinators, are no longer necessary in the absence of said pollinators. The female form of the dandelion has started to develop a dark greenish color, with small, weak petals and a protruding pistil to increase the chances of wind carrying their pollen.