the first day of summer camp

nini salazar-roberts

his hand is on my upper thigh and my wavy brunette hair is flowing through the breeze. i glance up at ricky forced on driving, yet relaxed.

this is gonna be the best summer ever. i know it.

"annndd.. here we are. camp shallow lake," ricky says in a sports announcer voice. i laugh as i open the car door and take in a deep breath, looking around all the people already there.

ricky opens on the trunk and hands me my things. yes, i might have over pack but that's the trill of summer camp.. or something like that.

"what do you think?"

"it's definitely some.."

i roll my eyes before pulling him into a kiss, "it's gonna be a fun as hell ricky."

ricky locks his car and head towards the entrance of the camp.

"hey! y'all made it!"

ej pulls us into a hug.

i look past ej and i see kourtney, carlos, ashlyn, and gina.

"hey," i run towards them and give them all a hug.

i look at carlos and kourtney, "you know, i definitely did not think y'all would be here. y'all don't really come off as the outdoorsy type.."

"oh hell no we aren't. we are only here for the GUEST STAR CELEBRITY," both of them saying the last part in sync. we all laugh as ricky and ej down to us.

ricky says his hellos to the group and i see gina look at ricky some type of way.. maybe i was just be paranoid. when i found out that ricky and gina had something, i didn't get it my off mind of it for weeks. and from what ricky had told me, it was pretty much unfinished business.

i shake those thoughts out of my mind and get kourtney, ashlyn, and gina's attention, "okay, how bout we go look at our yurts!"

•••

i swing the door open, "is that nini i see?"

"hell yeah, it is," i hug maddox and introduce ashlyn, gina, and kourtney.

"ok not to brag or anything but this is the best possible girls' yurt that y'all could be in," maddox says proudly.

kourtney looks around inspecting every corner of the yurt, "is it?.."

"oh come on, kourt! this is summer is gonna be great. musical.. everything. and it will be especially when i get the lead in the musical," gina says with her hands on her chest.

"oh uh gina, you're out for the lead too? so am i! i'm really excited to see what the musical is this year," i say nodding.

gina laughs awkwardly and looks the other way. the room gets silent for while.

"uhh, how about we pick out bunks?" maddox says dragging it out.

•••

ricky meets outside of my yurts, "led the way." we head down to the main camp area and we see ej and the group waving his hands to come. we sit down on this bleachers in front of them.