Shopping

Rahzgaur growled deep in his chest, one of the warnings that still gave me goosebumps. Before he could decide to pounce on me, the craft slowed to a stop.

Before I could look out the window, the door opened and Rahzgaur stepped out, adjusting his belt. I accepted his heated hand and followed. It was a town or city, possibly the one his ship had landed near, though I could not be sure and did not see the massive structure looming into the sky.

More buildings in gray and black stone were clustered in together, tall and strong. Purple metal walkways criss-crossed over the roads with Varkari men going about their business as usual. What I did not expect to see were the numerous other species of aliens milling about and even children.

Some were tall, with necks longer than my arm, others squat like bowling balls with two sets of spiky horns, some bulky and dull-eyed, others petite and blue with intelligent black orbs set forward in their skulls.

"Wow," I breathed.

I could hear the smile in his voice as Rahzgaur pressed himself close against my back. "You got to see many Varkari when the ship landed, but we have many races that now call Varkar home."

"But...b-but there are females here!" I resisted the urge to point at a lilac creature with a pear-shaped body.

"Yes, but none are compatible with us. Most do not breed in the same manner as you and I, but it is believed that we originate from a common ancestor. Come," he said.

I took his clawed hand and allowed him to lead me through the throngs of beings while I tried to keep my mouth shut. A male with bright red skin and snake-like eyes was leaning against a column as we walked by, his tongue slithering out to taste the air as we approached.

I saw his gaze linger on my breasts, sliding down my hips to rest at the apex of my thighs. His tongue darted out again and Rahzgaur lost it.

In a heartbeat, his spines were out and he snarled viciously at the red alien, who did not seem terribly threatened. Those slitted eyes went from me to Rahzgaur and back before he slunk off down an alley.

The male at my side did not sheath his spikes as we walked and seemed stiff and angry. I kept silent and close to him, now concerned that I would be snatched up and kidnapped by something worse than the Varkari if that were possible.

At last, we stopped in front of a door, propped open by a large stone, and Rahzgaur led me inside, his horns just barely clearing the frame without ducking. It was small inside and smelled nice, like a mixture of roses and cinnamon toast.

"This store serves bipedal races with two to four arms. There should be something here," he rumbled from behind me.

Racks of clothing were displayed everywhere and I was immediately drawn to the vibrant colors. So much of my world had been destroyed or restricted, that I had worn whatever dull or washed out thing I could find. I'd nearly forgotten color. But these things were sea-colored, bright pink, dazzling orange, or patterned like dragonfly wings and vibrant emerald.

Thankfully, Rahzgaur did not follow me around like a shadow, but stayed by the door while I gawked over the variety and dove in and out of aisles as he kept sentry, eyes on the world outside.

I found a navy-colored shirt that would go down to my thighs and a pair of black pants with several pockets that had a metallic sheen to them. Draping them over my arm, I added a few more shirts and pants, checking to make sure they had the appropriate number of arm holes and moved toward the rear where I hoped to find changing rooms.

"...overheard them talking about wiping it out completely," a voice whispered. I knew that voice and maneuvered toward the changing rooms.

"I know, Thiel had a meeting on his comm, too."

"She should be here any minute, now."

A bloom of dark hair was poking out of a door frame and I almost leapt on her. "Shonnie!"

She whirled around, eyes full of absolute panic which quickly turned to shock when she saw that it was me. Her eyelids fluttered a few times. "El-Ellie?"

We embraced tightly and I noticed another human woman nervously watching us. She was very petite, possibly scandinavian with her light complexion and icy eyes. Her blonde hair was as light as sunlight and braided carefully down her back.

"I'm glad to see you, but not glad you're here," Shonnie said. "This is Alma, she came on the ship with us, but she has been with her mate for two years."

Alma smiled at that, as though she was truly happy.

"Did you get paired off to a Varkari?" I asked.

Shonnie rolled her eyes and put her hands on her hips. "Oh, yeah. But I tried to kill myself on the ship, so they put me in stasis." She said it so flippantly, like it meant nothing.

"We don't have much time," Alma reminded her, just as there was a soft knock at the back of the shop and some footsteps beyond the dressing room. Alma hurried to meet them.

"Right. I'll brief you as fast as I can, because I can assume your prison guard is not far away, either."

I leaned around the corner and watched Rahzgaur's spines lifting as he took a more alert stance. Evidently, he did not like something going on outside, but it had his full attention.

"Alma is happily mated and has a child, but she understands that we don't want to breed with these males. She respects our right to choose unlike them. She found out that a common Varkari food causes miscarriages and acts as a contraceptive, so it is being delivered right now. The Varkari are outlawing it now, so you will have to take as much as you can carry."

My heart leapt. This could be my salvation, or at least it would buy me time to make an alternative plan. "I can't wear this then. Hold on a second."

I rushed over to Rahzgaur, still watching what must be a fight in the street and tapped his arm. Spikes flaring, he looked at me, almost as if he had forgotten me for a moment and I was the enemy. The movement was so sharp and animalistic, I shrunk back.

Instantly, he put all his weapons away.

"I apologize...there is discord right now."

I nodded. "I can hear it. Hey, can I change into something here?"

He shrugged, looking me up and down. "If you feel the need."

"Thank you!" I smiled automatically, a human gesture and it was his turn to appear stunned.

Before I could read into it further, I rushed off to Shonnie. "He said I could change here so I can stuff it in my pockets."

She peeked around the corner. "Sheesh, he is a big one."

"It's the Admiral," I grumbled.

"The one who was the big macho war general on Earth?"

I grunted.

Alma reappeared, her eyes wide. "Did you just say that your mate is the Admiral?" She glanced at my chewed up neck and I nodded. "That is an honor. He is widely known and respected."

"I don't care," I breathed. "He doesn't respect me. He just bites me and then we fuck."

"Gotta watch out for those drinks, too," Shonnie said as I stepped behind the curtain and pulled my dress off.

"What do you mean?"

"They stick a fang over the edge of a cup and put venom in the drinks, too."