02| Red Bean Cakes

Leaving the black market was far easier than entering

Leaving the black market was far easier than entering. Tanami did not have to worry about getting patted down or having the tip of a blade pressed against her back. She did not have room to worry about being stabbed while walking out. Especially after what happened at Arcane's shop, she was rejecting all mission offers for the rest of the week. She was going to make Decadence take them, whether zie liked it or not.

The teenager's short heels silently clicked against the stone road. Shadows veiled her tiny form, disguising her from anyone who may or may not want to get the jump on her. Not that they would be able to. The fluorite would inform her long before the thought crossed their minds. And even if they did, she did have a new katana to test out. Surely Chamaeleon would not mind a slightly used weapon as long as it did not dull.

Traversing through the darkness, the alleyways that curved around her were nothing more than a fun game. She had already memorized the quickest way to get out of there. However, she was confident that she would not catch anyone this early in the morning. Light from dawn was beginning to slip through the horizon. No one wanted to get seen coming out of the black market. On top of that, the way she left was not the only way out.

Personally, Tanami liked this entrance where the alleyways twisted and turned like a maze not because of the troublesome walk but because there was a convenience store nearby. She could grab as many red bean cakes for the week. Or at least she hoped it lasted the week. Chamaeleon and Decadence were more than happy to steal her snacks. She could not even be mad because she had not hidden them well enough.

Still, she had a right to be angry about it. At least they both gave her truffles and macaroons later on as compensation.

After a few more minutes of walking, Tanami arrived at the dead-end where she stored her backpack. Kicking the cardboard box aside, the black backpack she hid before going into the Deep made itself known. She stepped back in disgust, grimace filling her features as a bit of muck clung to the tip of her shoe. Her lips pressed together as the edge of her brow twitched. "Just great."

She glanced around her, wondering if there was anything she could use the wipe it away. Unfortunately, the only things that could work were the clothes she was wearing and the clothes tucked away in the backpack. It did not help that she was particularly fond of this outfit. Decadence presented her with the folded clothes with so much glee that it was contagious. The grin on zir's face was enough for Tanami to drop her walls entirely. And frankly, she did not want to dirty the few gifts she had received from the Empyreans.

Tanami's fingers were quick to undo the buttons of her trenchcoat before slipping the article of clothing off of her body. Shoving it inside the backpack alongside the medium-sized briefcase, she withdrew the grey jacket from inside. The fedora and mask she wore were tucked inside the bag as well. Hooking the straps across her shoulders, her eyes fell to her shoes, and a frown stitched onto her lips.

If she was going to take a trip to the convenience store, she might as well buy wipes. However, she preferred to spend the five-thousand yen in her pocket on snacks. The girl's head drooped, and the strips of enstatite clunked against each other. It looked like she would have to give up dorayaki for now.